• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    This post in the Martinsville Club thread made me think this would be an interesting discussion here. Maybe those on the Martinsville board can add some more details.

Anybody out there got a bunch of land they want to start up a new shooting range??

My question is why not be that guy who gets one started? I did a quick search on the land watch site for Indiana and there is 761 properties for sale in the 10-50 acre range.

From what I've gathered in the other thread, yearly revenue is in excess of $50,000. For as many people who seem to want to join a range like Martinsville, it should be easy to make a go of it.

Could any of the Martinsville board fill us in on what yearly insurance costs and property taxes are for this?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I was wondering the same thing. I think location is critical though. Martinsville has: easy highway access to Indy and isn't terribly far from Indy so I'm sure to get the most out of it you would have to be in a similar locale. Local to a largish city and easy drive.

Do that and you have a winner IMHO.

I can understand their hesitation to increase membership but they already have the infrastructure in place. All they would have to do is acquire more land (if possible) add more shooting bays/lanes, and increase membership limits. Based upon their large success I can't see why they wouldn't try to do that...

But I guess if they won't, somebody will...

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    Just getting a piece of land now does not a gun club make, you would have to deal with neighbors who more then likely would attempt to stop it at the very least, the range protection act wouldn't cover it. Most likely even if you could get it approved the bearms and overhead baffles wouldn't be cheap then after investing all that money you would have a neighbor mosey on up and hand you a bullet and say it came from your range whether it did or not.

We we need to do everything to save what few outdoor ranges there are

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Just getting a piece of land now does not a gun club make, you would have to deal with neighbors who more then likely would attempt to stop it at the very least, the range protection act wouldn't cover it. Most likely even if you could get it approved the bearms and overhead baffles wouldn't be cheap then after investing all that money you would have a neighbor mosey on up and hand you a bullet and say it came from your range whether it did or not.

We we need to do everything to save what few outdoor ranges there are

If you've ever ready many of my posts, you'll know I don't support neighbors dictating your land use.

ETA: From reading the many posts regarding ranges here, existing ranges aren't enough to fill the need. I suppose this is no different than most things in life. People want something with minimal effort, time and money.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Didn't Bob from Plainfield Shooters Supply and his wife try to set up a range on their property? I think it was shut down due to zoning? Wonder if it was a private club if it would be approved?

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    If you've ever ready many of my posts, you'll know I don't support neighbors dictating your land use.

ETA: From reading the many posts regarding ranges here, existing ranges aren't enough to fill the need. I suppose this is no different than most things in life. People want something with minimal effort, time and money.

Whether you support it or not is rather irrelevant, as they can and will stop a range from going in near them. It happened to Bob from PSS in Putnam County.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    All I see is people waiting on somebody else to be that somebody or looking to the state to do it.
    I plan on buying and/or acquiring land from my grandparents and having a range on it. 30 acres.
    It's a long term goal, but one I intend on attaining. I would want it to involve more than just bulls-eye shooting.
    That is the biggest disadvantage to the one i am with now.
    Have limited number of members with a yearly fee. I and possibly one other person would live on the grounds.
    Our local range has a home on it and they take care of the grounds etc as part of rent. I can't remember the details but if
    it becomes available again, I may just live there.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Didn't Bob from Plainfield Shooters Supply and his wife try to set up a range on their property? I think it was shut down due to zoning? Wonder if it was a private club if it would be approved?

Whether you support it or not is rather irrelevant, as they can and will stop a range from going in near them. It happened to Bob from PSS in Putnam County.

So are gun owners their own worst enemy when they support zoning laws that benefit themselves?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    A range may have to be veiled within wildlife preservation. If someone wants to donate a large plot of land to the city with the stipulation that it would always provide a shooting range, well, who knows what the city's legislators may approve?

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    A club was started in Hancock County a while back (Hancock County Gun Club). Land was available to the club for little or nothing from a local realtor. From what I understand, we couldn't get zoning due to objections from those in the area, especially one doctor near the proposed site.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Zoning is an issue whenever a person starts talking about a range that is open to the public. Private property with a private range less of an issue. But when we start the idea of letting people use a piece of property to shoot it becomes a commercial use. Therefor the property has to be zoned or possibly even have a special use permit. Either way the topic will be discussed by the zoning board/planning commission. Some counties do not have any zoning or local ordinances that address shooting ranges.

Insurance price can differ. A group can buy liability that covers instruction, private club or commercial property (for fee range). A for fee range will require an on staff RSO during hours of operation. The insurance provider will want you to follow the NRA's designs for range construction. Yes there is a book/CD for that.

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    I have a pretty good understanding of what's involved, I'm on the north side of Westfield and when I bought the land I made sure it was legal to shoot on and set up a small plinking/test range on it, I had it icons in time to be grandfathered under the range protection act. Let me tell you the neighbors did everything possible to try and keep me from shooting on my property, even so far as filing false police incident reports. It got so bad that I was arrested based on one of those false reports for felony criminal recklessness. I went to trial and fought the bogus charge and was found Not guilty and because of that that the prosecutors and sheriffs office agreed my range was adequate , I and my family went through hell to fight the fight, it put us into bankruptcy fighting the fight.

horadylnl:
    don't ever say I let others dictate my rights, I fought the fight and know what people do first hand, have you? If you haven't you have no right to judge

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I have a pretty good understanding of what's involved, I'm on the north side of Westfield and when I bought the land I made sure it was legal to shoot on and set up a small plinking/test range on it, I had it icons in time to be grandfathered under the range protection act. Let me tell you the neighbors did everything possible to try and keep me from shooting on my property, even so far as filing false police incident reports. It got so bad that I was arrested based on one of those false reports for felony criminal recklessness. I went to trial and fought the bogus charge and was found Not guilty and because of that that the prosecutors and sheriffs office agreed my range was adequate , I and my family went through hell to fight the fight, it put us into bankruptcy fighting the fight.

horadylnl:
    don't ever say I let others dictate my rights, I fought the fight and know what people do first hand, have you? If you haven't you have no right to judge

Wasn't the point of my response at all. I've been in many battles here with the pro code enforcement crowd. Many gun owners love to regulate their neighbors property usage and then complain when their neighbors want to shut down their range.

To protect my right to use my property how I see fit, I must let my neighbors use their property as they see fit.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Also, it seems to me that there are a lot of great gun clubs around, especially in central Indiana and they are usually still recruiting for members and support. They do not do a great job of advertising their events. If it wasn't for this board, I don't think anyone would know. Now, I don't know how you go about promoting beyond the gun stores or internet crowd. But there are a lot of great clubs and events, you just have to seek them out.

What I think happens a lot when it comes to discussions about new ranges is that everyone wants one to be close to them. It would be great to be able to go to a range close very close to home. But it's just not feasible to think that every community can support a range. There is going to be some travel involved. I know I would really like to do the BGF Tuesday league, but I work late on Tuesday. Also, Friday Night Steel at MCFG is great as I've done that a few times, but can't make it often because of work hours and shooters must be on site at 6:00pm for a safety meeting, even if they've shot before. It's tough on weekdays to make it out and I think people just want to be able to shoot more often. However, more clubs isn't necessarily the answer.

Top Bottom