• ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    One thing not to cheap out on is belts. A new cheap belt can slip because the angle is slightly different and not all of the v is making contact. Well, I can add carburetor floats to the list.
    Today I worked on a leaky carburetor on a Briggs and Stratton. I changed out the needle and seat for a new Briggs needle and seat. I had a new Chinese float and changed out the float.
    Carburetor still leaked. I kept messing with it. The needle and seat would hold a vacuum. I couldn't figure it out.
    So I thought, it's got to be the float. Let's put the old float in it. Funny, it worked.
    They look the same. The new one looked like it's made out of a thin milk carton. The old one was yellow from gas, but looked more solid.
    So there you have it. Sometimes a leaky carburetor is because of a brand new cheap float.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    So here's what I think was happening. I had to put a little pressure on the needle with my finger to get it to hold a vacuum. On the mower, the gas raises the bottom of the float. The plastic in the cheap float isn't stiff enough to transfer the pressure to the needle. So just don't change your float if it's working. If it's not working, don't get that cheap on. They'll just give you a headache.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Ohh, just saw this thread! Any updates on pricing yet? Do you do snowblowers? I have one that will only run with choke 1/2 on or more and will throttle up / throttle down the entire time. Put in new gas and changed the oil but haven't tried anything else yet.

Only problem with small engine repair is that many of the tools are only worth $200-$400 anyway so a repair has to be inexpensive to be worth it...

But great idea. This is a business where there is a lot of pent-up demand and not as many practitioners.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ohh, just saw this thread! Any updates on pricing yet? Do you do snowblowers? I have one that will only run with choke 1/2 on or more and will throttle up / throttle down the entire time. Put in new gas and changed the oil but haven't tried anything else yet.

Only problem with small engine repair is that many of the tools are only worth $200-$400 anyway so a repair has to be inexpensive to be worth it...

But great idea. This is a business where there is a lot of pent-up demand and not as many practitioners.
    I still haven't figured out a way to make money at this. Like you say, the items are inexpensive enough that folks don't want to spend much of anything to repair them. And with the move to battery powered tools, I think people are using the broken down gas powered stuff to justify making the switch to battery.

Looking at FB Marketplace, I'm not even sure there is much of a market for repaired/refurbished gas powered lawn and garden tools.

I'm still working on them and I keep my eye out for the free stuff. I am at the point that if I get the free stuff, I'll repair it and see if I can sell it and make some money. Otherwise, I mostly work on stuff for neighbors, friends and family.

I am my worst own enemy as I am very particular and I won't just replace a faulty part and send it. Anything I touch get's cleaned and I do a thorough inspection of the entire system so that when it leaves, it is good to go for awhile.

If I understand what you are saying, it is surging? I usually start with the carb. 80% of the time, the carb is the issue with surging, only running when choked or not starting in the first place. And if it had gas sitting in it for some time, that would also lead me to thinking it's a carb issue. They get gummed up sitting just a few months.

Next up would be checking out the governor.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    If I understand what you are saying, it is surging? I usually start with the carb. 80% of the time, the carb is the issue with surging, only running when choked or not starting in the first place. And if it had gas sitting in it for some time, that would also lead me to thinking it's a carb issue. They get gummed up sitting just a few months.

Next up would be checking out the governor.

Yes, surging. Thanks! Carb makes sense. I'll try to pull it off and soak it in carb cleaner. My problem is I use the snowblower all of once or twice a year, so the gas did probably get stale. I had put some STA-BIL in it, but that might not have been enough...

I wish you luck in the business. If you can find a way to do it inexpensively but still charge enough to be worth your time (e.g. quickly), I think there is a lot of untapped demand. Very few places exist that will work on small gas engines. Last year I wanted to get my chainsaw repaired, but after finding the 1 business that would repair it, they let me know their cost for a diagnosis / initial service was about 2/3 the cost of the entire unit. So I just bought another one instead.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yes, surging. Thanks! Carb makes sense. I'll try to pull it off and soak it in carb cleaner. My problem is I use the snowblower all of once or twice a year, so the gas did probably get stale. I had put some STA-BIL in it, but that might not have been enough...

I wish you luck in the business. If you can find a way to do it inexpensively but still charge enough to be worth your time (e.g. quickly), I think there is a lot of untapped demand. Very few places exist that will work on small gas engines. Last year I wanted to get my chainsaw repaired, but after finding the 1 business that would repair it, they let me know their cost for a diagnosis / initial service was about 2/3 the cost of the entire unit. So I just bought another one instead.
    Yeah, the chainsaw my neighbor gave me wasn't worth a new cylinder and piston, even with me doing the work and keeping it for myself.

I'll keep looking for a decent saw to bring back to life for me. It is one of the last outdoor hand power tools I could use.

Top Bottom