• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm assuming that most people have a safe or safes to keep their firearms locked up. In some scenarios, including robbery, the locked big metal box would be the first thing breached.

I wonder if anyone uses a stash or hiding place to keep one or two out of the mix for just in case?
    How elaborate are you with this?

Do you keep sacrificial guns in the event of some sort of confiscation?

skigun75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't, but one of my buddies had a great stash. He is somewhat freakish in his firearms collection. He may have one for every year alive. Not a bad thing, I am jealous. Anyway, he bought an old house that came with a stand up freezer. Well, the freezer didn't work and had a little keyed lock on the side. So my former Marine friend used a little ingenuity and made that freezer a display case. He had ARs, shottys, Remington 700 and probably 20 hand guns, including several highly custom 1911s in this freezer. No thief would ever have thought to check this thing for that much hardware. It was great. Anyway, thought I'd share.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I'm working on designing a hidden area that will have room for my safe, guns, SHTF supplies, and other items. It will be accessed via a hidden keypad.

It will be pretty nice. The only downside is that if I show it off, and post pictures, it defeats the purpose...

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    I just got done doing this exact thing. I have an in wall safe, but it isn't fire proof. I have some of those little fireboxes, but a thief can walk off with them. So I opened up a wall and now have a nice 2'x4'x8' cavity where I can put the fire boxes where they won't be stolen. Nobody would ever be the wiser either.

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    The freezer idea is great!

Wondered about how many felons would attempt to cut or even take a gun safe from a house

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I know someone who keeps a subcompact handgun inside a modified Ritz box in his pantry.

He cut out the bottom and backside of the box, but kept the front and sides. So it looks normal, but a quick grab of the box reveals and handgun sitting on the shelf.

The pantry is right next to the front door of the house, so it would be for those times when someone comes knocking and you don't have time to go to the other end of the house to retrieve a weapon.

Kinda like this picture:
    pantry.jpg

ick

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    NWI
    I know someone who keeps a subcompact handgun inside a modified Ritz box in his pantry.

He cut out the bottom and backside of the box, but kept the front and sides. So it looks normal, but a quick grab of the box reveals and handgun sitting on the shelf.

The pantry is right next to the front door of the house, so it would be for those times when someone comes knocking and you don't have time to go to the other end of the house to retrieve a weapon.

Sounds like the Kaboom cereal box trick from Kill Bill.

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    I got a dictionary for christmas that is actually a safe. Don't know where I would use it since I don't have a bookshelf though.

I never answer the door after dark without mine in hand. 50/50 during the day since I can usually see who it is pretty well.

TraderJack

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    I keep one of those tupperware guns under my workbench in the garage, a shotgun above the door on the inside of the entry closet, a Colt in one of the kitchen drawers, and one on the night stand.:do2:

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    I keep one of those tupperware guns under my workbench in the garage, a shotgun above the door on the inside of the entry closet, a Colt in one of the kitchen drawers, and one on the night stand.:do2:

[napolean]Lucky[/napolean]

drnorris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hiding your stuff

Many of the pro thieves will carry metal detectors to find hidden safes and stashes. This happened to my secretary's parents a number of years ago. They had several wall safes for guns and floor safes for valuables. They found every one.
    It is possible to stash a few pieces near other things that would give false readings. These spaces are not large but might just work. Be creative and think like a thief. Then you might be able to out think them.

Don

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Many of the pro thieves will carry metal detectors to find hidden safes and stashes. This happened to my secretary's parents a number of years ago. They had several wall safes for guns and floor safes for valuables. They found every one.
    It is possible to stash a few pieces near other things that would give false readings. These spaces are not large but might just work. Be creative and think like a thief. Then you might be able to out think them.

Don
    This kinda opens another door into overall security and, or your own behavior in advertising your wealth.

TraderJack

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Heck, If the theives want them they'll get them. Safe or no.
    I just have several handy in case I'm there when they show up!

Top Bottom