• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Prices are going up, (which isn't so stealthy) but package sizes are also going down. Sometimes without a price increase, but sometimes with one. Can't say I've seen a case where the size went down along with the price. This is chipping away at our buying power and is becoming quite common, (as the Consumerist often points out). Keep your eyes peeled for this cheat. It might be time to lose brand loyalty.

The Consumerist: Search Results

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have seen it many times with packaged food, where one week there is 6.0 ounces in the box for say $1.00, and the next time I went to buy it, there was 5.8 ounces in the same size box, with the only change showing the lower amount, but the price was still $1.00.

Ice cream a good example. Used to buy by the pint or half gallon. Now the price is the same but the container is a couple of ounces less.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    Well not many people pay attention so its a way for the makers to get over on us. Always about the profit of course.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Funny how the CPI doesn't show any real inflation and it is the "OFFICIAL" measure. Yet we all know that since Obama took office, gas has gone up and groceries have gone up (and guns and ammo (not the magazine)). Yet the gubmint continues to tell us there is no inflation. Let's face it, for the common average guy out here a big part of our income goes toward those very things.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I posted a while back about one of my customers making flexible packaging. It allows them to seemlessly print changing weights or volumes on packages. They are doing great on sales. It also saves the mfr money by not waisting packaging when they changed the numbers.

Next time you buy stuff, look at the product and you'll see it. Some are on a white field, others match the package color.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    That's part of the reason I've tried to cut back on buying the pre-packaged food whenever I can. I can control costs more efficiently when I have to make things. Not to mention it's just generally less expensive overall to buy the ingredients and put them together yourself.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Unfortunately, Washington has been monkeying with the CPI calculation over time. Now, food and energy aren't considered significant parts of what the consumer "market basket" would include. :rolleyes:

This was basically done to shortchange Social Security which has inflation adjustments built in. The lower the reported CPI, the less you pay granny for SS. This gets compounded year after year. Just imagine how bad the SS ponzi scheme would be right now if they hadn't lied about it. :rolleyes:

The CPI has gotten so bad that is now an obvious lie and not very useful to understand what is going on in the economy. You can find reports which use the "old CPI". Need to find one of those...

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Nah!!! It's part of Michelle obama's anti-obesity campaign. You eat less, pay the same prices, so states still collect the same sales taxes.

Top Bottom