• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    Who plans on going to the steel plate match the 12th? I hope to make it my first pistol competition. Any tips fromothers who have done it?
    Thanks,
    Dan

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I will be there. I mostly shoot revolver. They shoot each stage 3 times, so bring at least 3 mags or speedloaders. They usually send out an e-mail to shooters that lists the layout of the stages. That way you can see how the targets are set up and what the round count is. When I get that, I will try to remember to send that to you or post it here.

They also allow 22 pistols and 22 rifles (just added rifle this year) so there are many choices on what to shoot. It is normally draw from holster, except for 22s. They allow newbees to start from low ready also, if you are uncomfortable with drawing from a holster. There is normally a pretty large group at this match, but they break them up into 5 groups. There are normally 5 stages.

What do you plan on shooting? The group there is very friendly and very helpful, especially to new shooters. If you have any other questions, just ask.

the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    That is great to hear. I was intending to shoot my 40 s&w Sigma from holster. That would be awesome to know the layout. I was hoping to get there early to help setup. This is assuming I am not painting my house still.
    How long does it usually take for a group to clear all the stages?

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    We usually get done around 12:30 to 1pm. If you have some 22s, you might want to try NPCCC's rimfire match this Saturday. It is a much smaller turnout and pretty informal. This month is both rifle and pistol. If you don't have one of those, bring some ammo and you should be able to borrow a gun. Let me know what you would prefer to shoot, optics or iron sight.

the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    I have a 10/22 with fire sights but I don't believe I could this weekend because hope to paint my house before is too late lol.
    I appreciate the offer and hope to do more next year

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Here is the info for NPCCC's last steel plate match of the year. There is also an attachment with the stage layout. This month a shotgun is required. I hope you have a shotgun. If not, you can bring two boxes of shotgun shells (12 gauge) and shoot my 870 pump. I hope you got your painting done so you can shoot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It’s the one we’ve all been waiting for! NPCCC will Host our Steel/Shotgun Challenge with a
    25 round stage in bay 3.
    Round count will be
    82 Pistol & 29 Shotgun rounds if you do not miss....

This will be a 2 Gun Event!

Bring Boat Loads of ammo, many magazines and don’t forget your Holster too!!!

You must have a Shotgun to compete in this year's match.

Match fee for the Steel Challenge will be $20 and there will be No Rimfire Class this Month.

No Slugs or Steel Shot. #6 Birdshot or smaller is all that is needed.

Please be sure to read the attached Flyer for all the details of this months match….

Set Up for the Shotgun & 25 round stage is Friday starting at 2:00 pm then Saturday at 7:00 am. Please come out and help us set up this Great Match. It would be really appreciated……

This will be a long match so come prepared. We will supply Water and Ice while it lasts.

The Hot Diggity Dawg Gourmet Hot Dog Wagon will also be here.

As always with all NPCCC matches we are a Cold Range…No gun handling allowed except in the safe area. (No Ammo allowed in this area) No firearms are to be loaded until directed to by the Range Officer. If you do arrive with a loaded gun proceed to the unloading area and unload your gun.

The Range Master/Range Director for the Steel Challenge is Bud Scott and Bill Kucek. Please feel free to contact either person with any questions or concerns.

Keep your Powder Dry and see you there!!

Bud Scott

Last edited:

the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    well crap. I dont have a shotgun yet... well next year it is then for competing. Do they have another 22 match?
    Also thanks for posting the pdf it looks like a fun layout.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    The 22 match Saturday was the last one of the year. You are welcome to use my shotgun if you bring ammo, if you would like to shoot the match. I know the 1st cowboy action match I shot, I needed a revolver (I only had one) and a shotgun. I didn't yet have all the guns needed for cowboy. There were several guys there that offered to loan me their guns. I don't have many shotguns suitable for this type of match, but my 870 has an extended mag tube and holds 9 shells. If you can make it, come out to shoot. You will have a blast.

Top Bottom