• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    dont know if this is the right section to ask this but... can steel shot be used with any shotgun or does it need to be a chrome or stainless barrel?

i ask b/c the guns im using are grand pa pas old shottys with blued gun metal and eating something with led shot in it (b/c im not yet the best at cleaning an animal yet) makes me a little nervous and leaves a funny taste in my mouth in more ways than one :)

edit: my grandpa has been gone for some 30+ years so these guns' metelergy is older than that obviously.

Last edited:

ruger44srh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Some screw-in choke tubes say LEAD SHOT ONLY and are usually not heat treated. If you shoot steel shot out of a shotgun old enough to NOT have screw-in chokes the barrel MAY be damaged because the shot is harder than the barrel.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    You may be able to contact the manufacturer. I had to check on an old Wingmaster I bought and found out steel shot is ok for all Remington barrels made after 54 or so if I remember correctly.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If your concern with shooting lead is the cleaning then you have nothing to fear. The shot is primarily contain within the plastic wad. If anything you should be concerned with plastic fouling in the forcing cone, and that doesn't even become a concern until many thousand rounds. I used to shooting trap semi-competitively. Some of the guys I shot with NEVER cleaned their guns and they had tens of thousands of rounds through them. Don't worry about shooting lead shot.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    If your concern with shooting lead is the cleaning then you have nothing to fear. The shot is primarily contain within the plastic wad. If anything you should be concerned with plastic fouling in the forcing cone, and that doesn't even become a concern until many thousand rounds. I used to shooting trap semi-competitively. Some of the guys I shot with NEVER cleaned their guns and they had tens of thousands of rounds through them. Don't worry about shooting lead shot.
    concerned with the cleaning of the animal or the lead in the animal.

Top Bottom