Steel Valley at Hoosier Hills Rifle & Pistol (Brown / Bartholomew Co) for 7/8/13

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    I don't really remember how well I shot. I do remember how my boys did though.
    Thanks to everybody that made it such a fun time for them.They plan on coming back.
    Oh and I don't know the guys name that loaned his M&P 22 to my oldest son but thanks a ton. I appreciate it.

MrsTuesday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    I enjoyed trying something new. But also, for me as a real beginner and shooting with other beginners, I felt stage 3 didn't really allow me to see if I improved much overall, because it so affected my score that I can't really compare from month to month, if that makes sense. But I can see how it would be great for others with more experience hoping to sharpen their skills or just have a little fun. Perhaps a class option where you can be scored in a beginner class with both hands and an experienced class one handed, like you do for production/limited. But it was good to see that, though I hit diddly, it wasn't as daunting as I thought to shoot one handed with my weak hand.

Last edited:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I don't really remember how well I shot. I do remember how my boys did though.
    Thanks to everybody that made it such a fun time for them.They plan on coming back.
    Oh and I don't know the guys name that loaned his M&P 22 to my oldest son but thanks a ton. I appreciate it.

It was me and your welcome, Anytime I can help I'm glad to

Krainw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Enjoyed the Challenge!

I enjoyed the challenge of stage 3; I like stretching my skill set. I know the new shooters who came enjoyed themselves, and plan to come back, but too much of a challenge could be discouraging to new shooters. I think as long as shooters leave feeling personal satisfaction that they did well for their experience level and learned something too, then we're good. GNRPowdeR, you do a great job of assessing where people are in their comfort and/or experience level and meeting them there with encouragement, teaching, and/or good natured teasing which helps with the whole personal satisfaction thing. It is good for people to hear what they are doing well and what they could work on, to help pull the focus back from comparing ourselves with others who have more experience or greater skill. Thanks again for another great night. It was a great addition to our Anniversary celebrations!

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    THE RESULTS ARE IN!!!

Match Times: HERE

Remember to look for this months tab...

If any edits need made to the Class column, please PM me...

Last edited:

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I enjoyed trying something new... But it was good to see that, though I hit diddly, it wasn't as daunting as I thought to shoot one handed with my weak hand.

MrsT, If you want to compare how you're doing from the last two months to this month, check your times for Stages 1 & 3 vs this month's 1 & 2. Those are comparable, in my opinion.

The majority of the feedback I'm getting sounds like people liked and even appreciated the "eye opening experience" in a safe manner vs "when my life depended on it." A few quotes from people that aren't on INGO follow...

"I thought it was great! I'd rather figure out I need to practice week hand shooting now than when its life or death."
    "It was an eye opener! It's all about having fun and learning while we're having fun."
    "This is exactly what steel is about. To get you familiar with shooting styles."

The idea of our Steel Valley match isn't to chase people off, or to intimidate anyone. If anything, I'm hoping to foster the exact opposite. We want everyone to have a good time, to have a chance to get some practice in a safe & encouraging environment, and to help people to try different things vs their normal practice. I want people to be able to show up who are new to shooting and still be able to get something out of our match, but still have something every once in a while to keep our more accomplished shooters coming back, so they can help everyone get better.

Will we have something like this month's Stage 3 every month? No... Will we have a curve ball thrown from time to time? Yes...

MrsTuesday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Had a lot of fun, as usual. And truly appreciate all the effort you put into helping those of us with less experience. I was glad to see the way you mixed it up for stage 3 because I found myself thinking that if I were a more experienced shooter I would be bored. We've encouraged many friends to come because of the friendly and beginner friendly atmosphere of the shoot. Those that have come have said they've had a great time. We have others that are still thinking about coming. We really appreciate you stepping up to make this event happen.

Top Bottom