• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paramed60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Oolitic, IN
    I would like to swap out the wood stock on a 10-22 for something else maybe the Hogue rubbery stock with a Harris Bipod. Any good reasonably priced replacement stocks out there and do not take a gunsmith to do the change out. Thanks for any help.

SteveG66

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    You shouldnt need to take it to a gunsmith, it's simply one action screw and the barrel retaining band. Simple as that.

I've looked at the Hogue stocks, I don't think you can go wrong with them. There are many aftermarket stocks available, all of which won't require a gunsmith.

Good luck and have fun with it, thats one of the great things about the Ruger is the ability to change parts so easily and the aftermarket that is available.

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    changing the stock on a 10/22 is easy.

1. check to make sure the rifle is unloaded and keep it pointed in a safe direction while you work.

2. slide the safety in between safe and fire.

3. loosen the stock screw located between the magazine well and forearm.

4. lift barreled action out of stock.

5. reassemble using your new stock.

depending on the age or style of your 10/11 you may have to remove the barrel band. some have one, some don't.

i know a guy with a hogue stock and he likes it except for the rubbery texture makes magazines difficult to remove sometimes. i think he remedied that problem with some sandpaper. no biggie.

maybe look at butler creek for an inexpensive 10/22 stock? i can't think of too many other makers at the moment really.

sounds like you want the hogue anyway, so go for it.

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I like the hogue stock for certain applications.... if you plan on doing alot of prone shooting or sling shootings its NOT the right one, as its fairly flimsy compared to other heavier more solid models. for just a plinker it cant be beat.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Agreed

I like the hogue stock for certain applications.... if you plan on doing alot of prone shooting or sling shootings its NOT the right one, as its fairly flimsy compared to other heavier more solid models. for just a plinker it cant be beat.

I agree 100%. The Hogue feels good and looks pretty good but the forearm is gonna' allow the gun to move around some on a bipod. There are a lot of aftermarket stocks available. Check the classifieds at rimfire central. You may find something there.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I put a Yukon Extreme Stock on my 10/22. It was $129. It looks great, is lightweight and has a thumbhole.

GAC-REVEXTREME04.jpg

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Only downside to the Hogue...do not let it set in the sun, that black overmolded stock soaks up heat like you wouldn't believe...lol. Other than that they are great stocks.

They are a huge number of stocks available to the 10/22 owner ranging from mild to wild. You can even go with a receiver chassis and use AR furniture if you want. On of my personal favorites tho has to be the M1 Carbine stock with a set of the Tech Sights (TRS200).

1022m1carbine-1.jpg

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have the Hogue on one of mine and the Nordic Components receiver chassis on the other one and the Hogue has a great feel to it. I haven't shot the one with the Nordic kit on it yet because I'm waiting on my free-float handguard, but the one with the Hogue shoots really well whether standing or seated using a bi-pod. Mine is the one for a heavy barrel because I have a .920 Aluminum barrel on it. For around $70 you cannot beat it though!

Top Bottom