• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpmike25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    A friend of mine had his gun stolen out of his car at work last Friday. I'd appreciate it everyone could keep an eye out on a Springfield XD 9mm in bi-tone. Slide is stainless and the rest is polymer black. It was stolen from around the wishard hospital area. Thanks everyone please shoot me a pm if anyone sees anything. Thank you again.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Did he report the theft to the police? Filing a report may save him a lot of grief in the unfortunate event that the thief uses his gun to commit a crime, especially if someone is hurt.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm guessing that there are a bunch of those floating around Indy. Without a serial number, there really is little that can be done. Even if one shows up in the INGO classifieds, you will be hard pressed to prove that it's his gun without a police report and serial number.

bthomas

Marksman
    Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 28, 2012
    Winchester
    I dont understand why its not illegal to have a stolen hand gun. This is what a gunstore owner explained to me. There was an officer in the store right after I met a guy and traded hand guns. I asked the officer if he could run the numbers on the gun to see if it was stolen. The officer responded by saying "not without a case #". Then the gunstore owner said plus it will get taken away. I responded by saying, if its stolen I dont want it. When I went back in the store later when the officer was gone. The owner said its not illegal to have a stolen gun, it will just be taken away. He said thats why they dont run numbers on used guns because they would lose them.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I dont understand why its not illegal to have a stolen hand gun. This is what a gunstore owner explained to me. There was an officer in the store right after I met a guy and traded hand guns. I asked the officer if he could run the numbers on the gun to see if it was stolen. The officer responded by saying "not without a case #". Then the gunstore owner said plus it will get taken away. I responded by saying, if its stolen I dont want it. When I went back in the store later when the officer was gone. The owner said its not illegal to have a stolen gun, it will just be taken away. He said thats why they dont run numbers on used guns because they would lose them.

Really, then why dont they have the serial numbers run before they buy them? I read in another thread here on INGO that was safe to buy from Pawn Shops because they run the gun before they purchase them. I have no idea as I have never worried about before.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't understand why its not illegal to have a stolen hand gun. This is what a gunstore owner explained to me. There was an officer in the store right after I met a guy and traded hand guns. I asked the officer if he could run the numbers on the gun to see if it was stolen. The officer responded by saying "not without a case #". Then the gunstore owner said plus it will get taken away. I responded by saying, if its stolen I don't want it. When I went back in the store later when the officer was gone. The owner said its not illegal to have a stolen gun, it will just be taken away. He said that's why they don't run numbers on used guns because they would lose them.

Sounds like more gun store buffoonery to me. Owning a stolen gun should be like owning any other stolen property.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    You have no idea that a gun is stolen or not unless you run the numbers some how when purchased. If an honest person buys a gun in good faith and later finds it is stolen why should he be considered a criminal? When I worked in a gun shop we never ran numbers of used guns. Once in a while the cops would come in and want to ask us about a gun that was sold by us that was stolen and we would give them the info from the log books but other than that we had no idea if guns were stolen.

Top Bottom