• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Slow day today as I wait for my new AUTOCAD 2011 :rockwoot:to install!
    I'm wondering did any of the original Sturmgewehr 44 (StG 44 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) survive the war and come to the US **AND** make it onto the MG registry thus meaning it's possible to own by us lowly citizens?

Looks like a German company sells SEMI-AUTO version of many of the WWII german guns. See here: Sport-Systeme Dittrich Kulmbach: Produkte

No idea if any of those could be imported into the states. Also the ammo is not in any caliber that I know of. :dunno:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Yes, of course. There are still a good number of old Nazi weapons, including the StG44 on the registry. A lot got brought back and amnesty registered. By "a lot" I mean more than a few, not millions, unfortunately.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    No idea if any of those could be imported into the states. Also the ammo is not in any caliber that I know of. :dunno:

They kept the MP40 (The BD38 on their site) as the 9mm Luger caliber. Seems to be pretty popular ;):D

The K43 is also chambered in the original 8mm. Seems like shipping would be an issue :(

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    MP40s are running about $15k. STG44s are quite rare, but there are some on the registry. They are running in the $20k+ range.

If you want something rare, try to find a FG-42. I've seen 2 or 3 but not as many as StG44's. The MP-40s are common as matchsticks in comparison (also, a lot of new tube MP-40's were registered).

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    I'm just going to leave this here. (it's a new production clone, and semiauto only but, still)
    UmtEH.jpg

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Ok it's made by PTR and it is an MP44 clone.

A google search will get you there. On a side note the original mags work better than the repro mags. The only problem is the original mags are so expensive!

That kurtz round is intresting too.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'm just going to leave this here. (it's a new production clone, and semiauto only but, still)
    UmtEH.jpg

A clone I take it? Who makes it? Model?
    Not sure the "blue" makes it look nice. :D

Ok it's made by PTR and it is an MP44 clone.

A google search will get you there. On a side note the original mags work better than the repro mags. The only problem is the original mags are so expensive!

That kurtz round is intresting too.

:dunno: found this website: PTR91Inc
    But not sure if I see the clone you are talking about?

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Some of the Sturmgewehr's go for a little under twenty grand when they are not C&R (re-weld of lesser areas in the distant old days and re-parked), had one a few years ago for a little bit (I only owned one for 11 minutes until a friend talked me out of it).

Have fired several in the group and all shoot great, being hands down the best shooting full auto of any "30" CAL off hand rifle and nicer than most 223s (there was a Polish Tantal that was close but did not shoot side by side).

Parts are where you find them and at times mags were over a hundred or two and rare ... might have changed a little with the repro's.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    A friend of mine was Army SF. He said in Iraq, he ran into quite a few STG 44s. They also found plenty of ammo. They found enough ammo that they got tired of shooting them. I asked if he had any idea how all of these rifles got to Iraq. He said it appeared the Soviets grabbed them up after WWII. Then, at some point, the Soviets sent them to Syria. Then, the Syrians sent them to Iraq.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    A friend of mine was Army SF. He said in Iraq, he ran into quite a few STG 44s. They also found plenty of ammo. They found enough ammo that they got tired of shooting them. I asked if he had any idea how all of these rifles got to Iraq. He said it appeared the Soviets grabbed them up after WWII. Then, at some point, the Soviets sent them to Syria. Then, the Syrians sent them to Iraq.

Not hard to believe. There are some youtube videos in which a report goes to several towns in Afghan and for a mere $25 you have get an full-auto AK-47 and just about any other full auto you want. The video shows all sort of older weapons (thompsons, MP40s, etc...) that were just sitting around.

Anywhere but the US the world is full of full-autos for a price. :faint:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    He said it appeared the Soviets grabbed them up after WWII. Then, at some point, the Soviets sent them to Syria. Then, the Syrians sent them to Iraq.

I went to grad school with several refusniks. In talking to them I discovered that two of them actually survived the dedushka (grandfather, think lots of beatings) system as Jews and were sent to engineer battalions. (Dedushka was so bad for Jews that many bribed their way out or faked injuries [as did my friend Sergei who throw himself off a ladder]).

Their job was to grease and pack German battlefield pickups. Apparently the Soviets saved everything, even employing NKVD battalions to pick up guns after a battle.

They both reported mountains of any type of small arm that the Germans, Italians, Romanians, or Finns had. They did their service in the '80s and yet the Soviets were still storing WWII weapons.

Top Bottom