• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • badequinox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    I am wanting your thoughts, this will be a home defense/CC gun for a Lady in her 50's. I suggested a 1911 but that may be a bit much for her.

So suggestions on a smaller frame pistol with stopping power, maybe with integrated laser. Part of our deal is she has to take a gun safety course.

I have been looking at, LCs, Bodyguards, Kahrs, Sig 238's and various sub compact 9s.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    Walther pps .40 could be a good one. Or maybe a springfield XDs 9. If she has no firearms experience i'd go with a revolver, smith and wesson body guard .38 maybe.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Here's a crazy idea. Take her to a range with rental guns and let her decide what she likes. You could also ask friends and associates (i.e. fellow INGO members) to meet you at the range so that she has more to choose from.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I'd suggest a S&W short barreled .38 revolver as they are virtually fool proof; a basic course or two in pistol handling and self defense and lots of time at a range shooting and perfecting technique.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Seems these types of threads show up from time to time. I see a lot of new shooters in basic classes. Often small revolvers are their choice in firearms. The husband often has an auto. Almost always the ladies prefer shooting the autos. Not that small revolvers are bad but just harder to shoot. I definitely recommend getting rid of the boot grips and replacing them with something longer. I like crimson trace on my revolver, just be careful because the laser can be distracting for a new shooter. Fundamentals first. Smith 638/642, Ruger LCR, and Taurus 85 are good choices.

Glock 19, springfield XD, Smith M&P, Ruger SR9 tend to be fan favorites as far as autos.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    S&W revolver of some stripe, a Sig 239 in 9mm. Possibly a 9mm Glock of some sort. A Ruger SP101 in, or loaded with, .38 special would be tough to beat for anyone, in my opinion.

Lotsa choices roaming around out there.

Luck!

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    What birds away said.. my wife is most comfortable and proficient with a revolver so that's what she has. I would prefer a semi Auto but it's for her not me. . Ruger LCR.357 what she has.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    BODYGUARD 38 - Smith & Wesson

SW_CatList_Bodyguards38.jpg

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    Here's a crazy idea. Take her to a range with rental guns and let her decide what she likes. You could also ask friends and associates (i.e. fellow INGO members) to meet you at the range so that she has more to choose from.

If in NWI he could come to the July Meet and Shoot on July 13th at Winamac.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

Good advise here. Everyone as different tastes, and opinions as to what they like best. I have a few firearms, and over the years I have been able to get my wife to shoot a little. She always liked the .22s. I wanted to move her up a little bit. She liked my Taurus 605, so I bought her the Model 85. They are the same, basically. She surprised the heck out of me by picking one up and then the other, and telling me which one was which, (Without looking at them). I can tell the difference in weight but never thought she could. Who would have figured. Anyways she is very recoil sensitive, and the 85 has a little too much kick. She will shoot 5 to 10 rounds then she is done. She can hit the target, so I'm ok with it. Now when she shot the P238, she fell in love. So, let her try some different stuff if possible. Start too big, and she might be done altogether.:twocents:

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record, let her shoot as many as she can, then pick what feels good for her. What works for you, (or me), has absolutely no bearing on what works for her. Whatever she decides on, she has to enjoy shooting it, or it will stay in the box on a closet shelf.

onetwoonetwo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    somewhere in the dark

^^this^^
    i would help if possible(i am in Indy), i could bring a few pistols/revolvers to try out at a range.

i would also look into the new Beretta 92fs compact inox(stainless) w/rail.
    it is a little bit expensive but an excellent smaller package.
    my wife likes to shoot it as well as her glock 19c.
    i say these models because the felt/perceived recoil is minimal( if not the wife would not have them ) for her and if she thinks it's cool it's not too bad.
    i say this because she is kinda whimpy(she would agree, i swear), and she has fun and enjoys shooting those the best out of the decent selection we/she have or have access to.
    anyways, if she wants to try some out we can make it a range/learning/training day or half day.

:twocents:

onetwoonetwo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    somewhere in the dark
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record, let her shoot as many as she can, then pick what feels good for her. What works for you, (or me), has absolutely no bearing on what works for her. Whatever she decides on, she has to enjoy shooting it, or it will stay in the box on a closet shelf.

^^^^^ this as well ^^^^^
    it is a very personal thing, what she likes, she will want to shoot more.
    shooting more makes you shoot better(hopefully).

Tater22LR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    Columbus Area
    For a first handgun a revolver might be best. If a semi jams in a SHTF moment there is a lot to remember. With practice it isn't an issue under pressure but a lot of people don't practice enough.

badequinox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Thanks for stating the obvious Birds Away I had already planned on that I guess I should of been more clear. I am simply asking for opinions on small frame handguns to for her to try. What CCW do you prefer, for features reliability. This is a friend of the family who holds a job that does not afford her much time to go gun shopping so suggestions from the ladies of this board, and recoil sensitive guys is appreciated. Thanks for all the suggestion already, and I guess for the +1s on the obvious.

Top Bottom