• zbloxzoid

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2023
    Terre Haute
    Hey y’all,

I’m interested in getting into competitive shooting. I train often but limited by cash flow since college, so.

I want some suggestions on how to train for this since I don’t want to waste time or effort or money. Not that having fun shooting isn’t worth the price of 9mm.

Notes about myself - I can shoot groups, and I am familiar with firearms manipulation. Drawing, shooting, and malfunctions clearing are things I train.

Questions:
    What drills would you recommend practicing?

What are things I should focus on?

Any gear worth the money that is a “must-have,” whether QOL of actually dictated by rules?

Where to get USPSA/other shooting organization - approved targets?

Thanks for the input, there’s plenty of experienced shooters here.

List of current gear -
    Shadow Systems MR920 (stock) with Holosun 507k
    2x 15 rd PMAG
    2x 21 rd PMAG
    OWB L1 drop leg holster
    1x Kydex mag carrier (ambi/IWB/OWB)

I also have a P320 compact with plenty of 15 rounders but no optics mount.

My MR920 is my main carry gun, so compensators or trigger mods are a no-go for me. I am willing to look at competition-oriented firearms, though, if I can strike a deal or payment agreement.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Shooters connection for your targets and pasters they sell idpa and USPSA targets.

One drill I do is draw and shoot, one shot to the down zero and time it. Keep doing it till I get faster and a consistent time!

Another I need to do more often in a muscle memory drill, close my eyes, draw my pistol, open my eye and see where my dot is, is it in the right spot?, and repeat that, keep doing it! (With a unloaded gun)

One I used to do but don’t need to do any more (due to the idpa rule change) is load 1 round, put 1 round in my second magazine, holster my gun loaded with 1 round, hit my timer, draw and fire 1 round, reload and fire another round, check my time, and keep doing it till I get faster and go down zero on both rounds.

I know a guy who bought a mantis trainer and he used it non stop, and I saw a huge improvement in his skills (a year ago I was beating him every match, and now he’s a master in idpa before I made expert!)

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Hey y’all,

I’m interested in getting into competitive shooting. I train often but limited by cash flow since college, so.

I want some suggestions on how to train for this since I don’t want to waste time or effort or money. Not that having fun shooting isn’t worth the price of 9mm.
    Get a Ben Stoeger or Steve Anderson book.
    Notes about myself - I can shoot groups, and I am familiar with firearms manipulation. Drawing, shooting, and malfunctions clearing are things I train.
    If you can do that and follow directions you are ready to start.
    Questions:
    What drills would you recommend practicing?
    There are a multitude. The above books will give you tons of applicable things to work on.
    What are things I should focus on?

Any gear worth the money that is a “must-have,” whether QOL of actually dictated by rules?

Where to get USPSA/other shooting organization - approved targets?

Thanks for the input, there’s plenty of experienced shooters here.

List of current gear -
    Shadow Systems MR920 (stock) with Holosun 507k
    2x 15 rd PMAG
    2x 21 rd PMAG
    OWB L1 drop leg holster
    1x Kydex mag carrier (ambi/IWB/OWB)
    This gun will work in either USPSA or IDPA in Carry Optics although for USPSA you will need to remove the magwell. You will want a few more mags, 15 rounders for IDPA or the 21's for USPSA. (If they are the proper length 140mm, not sure) Though I am not familiar with that exact holster, it probably won't work. You will need at least one more mag pouch.
    I also have a P320 compact with plenty of 15 rounders but no optics mount.

My MR920 is my main carry gun, so compensators or trigger mods are a no-go for me. I am willing to look at competition-oriented firearms, though, if I can strike a deal or payment agreement.

Last edited:

Refrigerator27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Noblesville
    CHL has USPSA and IDPA targets. Cheapest I’ve found and free shipping.

You won’t be able to use a drop leg holster for USPSA.

As for drills, get a shot timer such as PACT timer 3 and start practicing drawing (either dry fire or live fire). Your goal should be to under 2 seconds consistently.
    As for other drills there’s lots but you’ll need to learn what’s best for you and the range you have access to. Read up on the rules for USPSA if you haven’t yet and you’ll very quickly be able to figure out what gear your allowed/not allowed to have and use.

zbloxzoid

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2023
    Terre Haute
    Shooters connection for your targets and pasters they sell idpa and USPSA targets.

One drill I do is draw and shoot, one shot to the down zero and time it. Keep doing it till I get faster and a consistent time!

Another I need to do more often in a muscle memory drill, close my eyes, draw my pistol, open my eye and see where my dot is, is it in the right spot?, and repeat that, keep doing it! (With a unloaded gun)

One I used to do but don’t need to do any more (due to the idpa rule change) is load 1 round, put 1 round in my second magazine, holster my gun loaded with 1 round, hit my timer, draw and fire 1 round, reload and fire another round, check my time, and keep doing it till I get faster and go down zero on both rounds.

I know a guy who bought a mantis trainer and he used it non stop, and I saw a huge improvement in his skills (a year ago I was beating him every match, and now he’s a master in idpa before I made expert!)

Thanks, very helpful. I practice S/R/S in dryfire practice, and out on the range I practice a lot of reloading drills, if I have someone I let them load a random number of bullets and the occasional spent casing for malfunctions clearing.

Mantis may be in my future.

zbloxzoid

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2023
    Terre Haute
    If you haven't already, get your membership at Riley Conversation Club. Answers to all of your questions are there.

Plenty of regular shooters from all of the competition sports in and out of the club regularly. On top of monthly matches to participate in or watch, if you choose.

:twocents:

I will look into that. Currently I have a membership with Proteq and look into online books about drills and scenarios, etc.

zbloxzoid

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2023
    Terre Haute
    Get a Ben Stoeger or Steve Anderson book.

I used Stoeger’s online recommended drills. Book comes next

If you can do that and follow directions you are ready to start.

Interesting.

There are a multitude. The above books will give you tons of applicable things to work on.

Heard, and planned to order.

This gun will work in either USPSA or IDPA in Carry Optics although for USPSA you will need to remove the magwell. You will want a few more mags, 15 rounders for IDPA or the 21's for USPSA. (If they are the proper length 140mm, not sure) Though I am not familiar with that exact holster, it probably won't work. You will need at least one more mag pouch.

Holster won’t, but I have a USPSA approved one in a cart. The Magpul GL9 21rd mags are also approved by USPSA guidelines at 141.25mm.

Thanks.

zbloxzoid

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2023
    Terre Haute
    CHL has USPSA and IDPA targets. Cheapest I’ve found and free shipping.

You won’t be able to use a drop leg holster for USPSA.

As for drills, get a shot timer such as PACT timer 3 and start practicing drawing (either dry fire or live fire). Your goal should be to under 2 seconds consistently.
    As for other drills there’s lots but you’ll need to learn what’s best for you and the range you have access to. Read up on the rules for USPSA if you haven’t yet and you’ll very quickly be able to figure out what gear your allowed/not allowed to have and use.

New holster is in my cart. Gotta save money for it and the belt and the mag carriers. I would prefer not to buy the cheapest thing and have it break on me.

I use my phone for a shot timer but I can’t record myself to review, so a shot timer is on my list.

The range I go to has a multitude of training resources including barriers and a 360° “pit” for stuff like that.

Rules are now on my toilet reading list.

Thanks for the input.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I will look into that. Currently I have a membership with Proteq and look into online books about drills and scenarios, etc.

Please verify, but I believe all the matches at Riley an be observed without you being a member. Even shooting the matches do not require membership, to my knowledge. In other words, it would cost nothing to observe.

Take eye-ear protection and be prepared that nearly everyone will tell you you should have brought your gun to shoot the match.

Personally, I'm a big proponent of watching a match or few, before shooting them.

Matches are run on a cold range. You should be cognisant of this with your carry pistol, as you observe.

Also, a graceful word to the wise; Often folks who have not shot in group settings much run into quite the awakening in reference to their own gun handling. Just sayin'...

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I was looking through the rules and I can't actually find where it says that there can not be a magwell, unless I'm not understanding the wording properly which is entirely plausible.
    Appendix D7 22.3

Of course I believe if you don't want to take it off, you could just compete in the new LO provisional division.

Last edited:

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    If you haven't already, get your membership at Riley Conversation Club. Answers to all of your questions are there.

Plenty of regular shooters from all of the competition sports in and out of the club regularly. On top of monthly matches to participate in or watch, if you choose.

This. They host Steel Challenge 2x a month, weather dependent in winter. Also have an active USPSA following. Membership meeting is next Thursday at 7pm.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Riley USUALLY has steel during the winter but USPSA shuts down for the winter(LOTS more work setting up a USPSA match).
    I would say bring a gun and shoot steel the first time as the rules are pretty simple and they will help you figure out what division to shoot.
    USPSA wise most clubs have a new shooter meeting before the match that covers the basics. Even if you want to watch a match before competing in USPSA Show up early and ask for the match director and ask them to introduce you to someone shooting the match.
    They will put you with someone that will explain what is going on. When the person you are following goes down to paste targets grab some pasters and help after he explains how and when to paste. Going down range to help reset gives you a different perspective to the stage that you can't really see standing at back watching someone shooting the stage.
    You also get to see the scoring zones on the targets and how the steel works.
    You can also walk down range to help reset and see the targets from the shooters perspective.
    If you do this just give the person you are following a few minutes before they shoot to get their game plan together.
    USPSA and IDPA and Steel Challenge are a great time while improving your skill set and hanging out with great people.

Top Bottom