• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I've owned an AR-15/M4 carbine for years now. It actually is an AWB model, so the stock doesn't move. It has a fixed carry handle and the shorter carbine hand-guard. This make it somewhat limiting when it comes to optics and other attachments. With the recent lawsuit settlement and the current political direction of the country, I felt that I need to stop procrastinating and likely get a second AR before they either get harder to come by or end up just costing that much more.

What I'm looking for is just a solid rifle that will work. I'm not looking for something that will allow me to put all the shots in a quarter-sized hole at 100 yards. I just want something dependable and want to minimize failures and even have some redundancies (like if the optic fails). After reading various opinions and speaking with some folks at a gun store, I know I have a few options. First would be to just buy a mid-length upper. I've been told that my AWB era Bushmaster lower might not work with another upper. Something to do with how they were manufactured. So this may or may not be an option for me. Another option is to just by a complete rifle with what I want. Here is what I'm looking for: Mid-length, no carry handle, A2 front sight (I like the idea of a fixed front sight, seems less likely to fail vs the flip up versions, but I'm open to suggestions). Rail system on the top as I'd install some sort of optic and a rear sight of some sort. The rear sight could be a flip-up version or something like a permanently "up" sight that is modeled after the traditional rear sight. Would also need some information on quality manufactures that are more mid-range on the budget. I could go up somewhat, but I definitely don't want to drop $1,500 or more on just the rifle with no attachments like an optic, vertical hand grip, etc.. There are so many companies out there now I'm not sure who is still decent.

Lastly, I'm willing to make a drive to the right gun store that has a good selection and reasonable pricing. Any suggestions for stores to visit would be welcome. I could buy a PSA rifle for $750, but I have no problem spending more if I can actually just go to a physical store, handle the rifle, and not have to deal with the transfer aspect of things. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    You might check the classifieds here. Looks to be a couple worth looking at. If you buy at the gun shop, you will be doing that transfer thing.

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    Not trying to sway you towards psa but snagged one of the blem ak's they had on sale and sending it to my lgs was really easy
    Guys at the lgs said psa is the easiest they've delt with and they get a lot of stuff sent from them ...take that for what it is
    Having said that what makes a dependable ar is the QC ...psa is good (I also own some of their AR stuff) and from what I hear getting better but if you want a serious work rifle with a better chance of long term reliability you could look at SOLGW , BCM, geissele, daniel defense, FN , POF, lwrci. To name a few
    . Really comes down to budget and needs .....if you plan to shoot a ton maybe look at rifles with CHF barrels or maybe you don't need that and can save the money

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    Not trying to sway you towards psa but snagged one of the blem ak's they had on sale and sending it to my lgs was really easy
    Guys at the lgs said psa is the easiest they've delt with and they get a lot of stuff sent from them ...take that for what it is
    Having said that what makes a dependable ar is the QC ...psa is good (I also own some of their AR stuff) and from what I hear getting better but if you want a serious work rifle with a better chance of long term reliability you could look at SOLGW , BCM, geissele, daniel defense, FN , POF, lwrci. To name a few
    . Really comes down to budget and needs .....if you plan to shoot a ton maybe look at rifles with CHF barrels or maybe you don't need that and can save the money
    Sorry missed the not $1500 thing on your post
    Aero precision might be a good option

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    I know you mentioned it being a 2nd ar, but have you thought about just a new upper?

Get it configured however you want and have it shipped to your door.

Fallschirmjaeger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Noblesville
    I agree with pmbiker’s idea about a new upper. There are tons of really nice uppers out there that should meet your requirements. Also, I’ve never heard of ban-era Bushies having compatibility issues with swapping out to other milspec uppers. That was a Colt thing, I think.

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    I agree with pmbiker’s idea about a new upper. There are tons of really nice uppers out there that should meet your requirements. Also, I’ve never heard of ban-era Bushies having compatibility issues with swapping out to other milspec uppers. That was a Colt thing, I think.
    I believe you're right about the incompatibility issues with certain Colt lowers. I think it had something to do with the receiver pin size.

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    Bravo Company Manufacturing would be my suggestion....if you can find one.

Edit.
    Centurion seems like a very stand up company offering a high quality product. Hadn't heard of them, thanks Kirk.

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    I'd say buy an upper Aero, bcm, centurion. Might need a new buffer, spring, and tube to change the stock. I think those had rifle length tubes, so even if you unpin the stock the tube would stick out the back of the stock in a collapsed position.

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    What you described as your ideal is exactly how I set up my SHTF AR.

I used a spikes tactical lower, assorted BCM and Magpul components. BCM complete upper with a 16" enhanced lightweight barrel, mid-length gas system, BCM FF handguard. Fixed front sight, Magpul pro flip up rear and an Aimpoint PRO red dot.

All killer, no filler.

Nickbau5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2020
    Brownsburg
    Honestly, I think getting an Upper with a freefloat handguard is the best option full stop these days. if you are concerned about having a front sight up permanently, you can just buy a front sight that doesn't pop to keep the cowitness.

I personally think building from piecemeal parts is a good plan because you know every part, you know what parts to skimp out on (like no need to buy a $50 Colt LPK, just get a generic since they aren't performance pieces), and can put money into better performance parts. Anderson stripped uppers are fine. For the stripped lower, I would say Aero or another brand with hex screws as opposed to roll pins (it makes a world of difference in ease). Barrel can be a bit picky, but you can't go wrong with a good Ballistics Advantage. Pick the stock you think would be most comfortable (B5 Sopmod is nice, or the Magpul copy of it). Like I said a freefloat handguard, preferably 15" if you're running a 16" AR, this will help with accuracy since the barrel can now act freely when shot (something about harmonics, I'm no physicist). For the buffer, a JP Enterprise Silent Capture Spring is a dream to shoot with and lessens recoil. And then choose a trigger you want.

For even just $1k you can make a great duty rifle and then use the rest of the money for optics, light, sling, etc.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I was in your boat a long long time ago. Modifying my AWB era Colt Sporter is what got me started building AR rifles.
    Colt, in an attempt to continue selling those evil "assault weapons" neutered their guns by removing the bayonet mount, shipping 5 rnd mags, installing a full auto block, modifying the bolt carrier & changing the fire control group (trigger pins) pin sizes.

I went full circle and that Colt again looks like it did when I bought it.

You can go that route & learn a LOT about the AR platform or you can just buy the upper & lower you like.

Don't sell that AWB rifle. You'll miss it down the road.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I like BCM. If that is too expensive, checkout Aero Precision/Ballistic Advantage. Nothing wrong with building your own, but go slow and do it right (some small things done wrong add up).

I know a lot of guys like Sons of Liberty Gun Works too.

Don't have to go high dollar (Noveske etc) but I'd stay away from the cheapest ones too (Radical etc).

ibwaltb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Fishers
    Aero, BCM, Centurion all great options.
    Saying that the IWI Zion-15 looks outstanding for the money:

I’ve seen them as low as $700 but would require shipping and transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom