• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    My nine year old daughter just got back from (Christian-run) summer camp this weekend. I'm thrilled to report that not only did they have an actual shooting range, but all this kids got the opportunity to shoot .22lr bolt-action rifles. I was not aware when we signed her up that this would be done, and as far as I know, parental permission was not requested beforehand (except for the camp as a whole, obviously). I wholeheartedly approve on all counts. Unfortunately, since she's nine, I can't get a range report from her, other than to say "I did great, but I don't think I hit the target." :lmfao:

I'm very happy to see that there are still groups who believe that the shooting sports are not things to keep kids away from.

The camp itself seemed to be very well run, clean, and looked like a lot of fun. I wanted to go myself (or at least ride the zip-line!).

BTW: She has her own .22lr rifle that she shoots with me on occasion, so it's not her first time.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    "looked like a lot of fun" he says.
    *rolls eyes*

THAT PLACE WAS FREAKING AWESOME.

That is all. :D

PS... how many other girls in your daughter's unit had her name? :): And I'm glad she had fun! :)

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    They also did archery too. She said her arrow didn't make it to the target but just below it. It's my understanding that it was her best shot. There was paintball as well, but I think you had to sign up for that specifically. I was aware that she may be shooting the rifle and using a bow. I just didn't know for sure since she was only 9. Frankly, before I got there, I was afraid it was going to be a meatballs type camp. If it were me, that would have been fine when I was a kid, but not for my child.. hehehehe

As for what Scutter said, I was extremely pleased with it. They posted pictures almost daily which helped me being a mother and letting her go away for a week with complete strangers.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    PS... how many other girls in your daughter's unit had her name? :): And I'm glad she had fun! :)

The one girl we encountered that shared her name was not in her tent. Apparently, the tent was full (10 girls?) and had two counselors in it as well.

She took many pictures with her disposable cameras, approximately half of which are partially covered by her thumb. :thumbsup:

We liked the camp so much that we were actually considering sending her back for another session this summer. She'll definitely be back next summer. I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a camp for their kids. They're 1 or 2 week camps, depending on the programs you select.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    "looked like a lot of fun" he says.
    *rolls eyes*
    THAT PLACE WAS FREAKING AWESOME.
    That is all. :D

It did look freaking awesome didn't it? hehehe
    Actually, that other girl that had her name wasn't in her tepee so she was the only one. Yes, she slept in a tepee.. It had actual beds though and the outside may have looked like a tepee but the inside was an actual cabin. They do however have other types of areas as well: tree houses, a wild west type main street area, and just some really cool other buildings. From what I understand, a man who works there on weekends, told me they move them around to different areas each year.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I really liked the emergency response system that the camp had set up. The tour guide mentioned that all the staff had hand-held radios that they communicated on, as well as a camp-wide PA system for emergencies. They used codes to announce different types of emergencies (such as storms, etc.) so that if any kids were in earshot, they didn't hear what the exact problem was. If there was a tornado warning, for example, the camp staff would know about it, but the kids would just think, "Oh, we're having a slumber party and watching movies all night in the Lodge as a group, instead of in our tents!"

I thought that was pretty cool. Lars said they probably only mentioned it because of the small disaster at that Boy Scout camp a few weeks ago, but I thought it was still good to hear about it.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    he's also firmly attached to me.
    he's not interested in your daughter. he's interested in going to that camp. We seriously need to find out when they have a grown-ups only retreat. :):

I think TomN already called 'dibs' anyway. :):

Top Bottom