• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Made a quick run to the store before the Bears game started, noticed a lonely looking Sunday garage sale with a snowblower, mower, and a few other decent items. I stopped and while I didn't get the blower and mower, I did happen to score a Collins Axe, Collins Hunters Hatchet, and a Kobalt hatchet, for the princely sum of $5 total! Basically they have been used very little, and stored and cared for poorly. All three are in solid condition and just need a bit of love. But for about $1.66 each, who cares, they're cheaper than Harbor Freight and priced about like Frost China-made crap.

*And for the record, I asked the guy what he wanted for all three and he said five bucks, no lowballing on my end.

2e3dh03.jpg
    View Raw Image" height="421" width="748.4444444444445">

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Other peoples used crap! That's how a co-worker once described these kind of finds, "How can you stand to use other peoples used crap?" When you score 3 NICE cutting tools for $5 the answer "should" be obvious!:rockwoot:

For the record I'm jealous.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Made a quick run to the store before the Bears game started, noticed a lonely looking Sunday garage sale with a snowblower, mower, and a few other decent items. I stopped and while I didn't get the blower and mower, I did happen to score a Collins Axe, Collins Hunters Hatchet, and a Kobalt hatchet, for the princely sum of $5 total! Basically they have been used very little, and stored and cared for poorly. All three are in solid condition and just need a bit of love. But for about $1.66 each, who cares, they're cheaper than Harbor Freight and priced about like Frost China-made crap.

*And for the record, I asked the guy what he wanted for all three and he said five bucks, no lowballing on my end.

Finding any one of those three for $5 would have been a good score. All three is a windfall! Well played, sir.

I sense that some chopping will occur soon.

Stay away from my dead sunflowers, though. Those belong to the Moonstalker.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I used to have a neighbor down the street that had a couple garage sales a year. Always had better than a dozen fishing poles, several mowers, multiple weed eaters, shovels, axe's, ladders, car jacks, TV's stereo's etc. Lots of the stuff was pertfectly serviceable. At first I though he might be a fence for punk thieves, so I asked him how he always had so much stuff.

He worked for a property management firm that manages lots of rental units for real estate investors. It is his job to clean up the properties when people split. Often they move suddenly when they are behind on rent. He was allowed to salvage anything that gets left behind. I pretty much bought everything I needed to maintain my house from him.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I used to have a neighbor down the street that had a couple garage sales a year. Always had better than a dozen fishing poles, several mowers, multiple weed eaters, shovels, axe's, ladders, car jacks, TV's stereo's etc. Lots of the stuff was pertfectly serviceable. At first I though he might be a fence for punk thieves, so I asked him how he always had so much stuff.

He worked for a property management firm that manages lots of rental units for real estate investors. It is his job to clean up the properties when people split. Often they move suddenly when they are behind on rent. He was allowed to salvage anything that gets left behind. I pretty much bought everything I needed to maintain my house from him.

I do the same thing, but I haven't been so lucky. I am more like a garbage man than someone who picks up peoples good things they've left behind I feel like...

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    In a perfect world I would have scored original Randalls, or even early 60's Colt Pythons (hey, a guy can dream right??) but I can't complain about snagging good serviceable tools at a basically free price. I figure an hour or so worth of restoration on each cutting edge and I'll be a happy guy!

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Nice score! I own the same Collins hunters axe, mine is stamped- U.S. Wonder if it was a Army issue? It was rusty and handle was oily/dirty, little TLC, some sand paper and Dawn dish soap got the grease off the handle. Sharpened, wrapped handle with paracord, installed a lanyard hole/lanyard. It has proven a great tool for bonfire wood. Carried in my BOB now if not using.

People lose interest after a tree is down, or other reasons. I like tools, and admit to having about three of everything.

Enjoy.

Top Bottom