• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I am not sure if this is posted anywhere else but I think this is a good place for it. Before I even watched the analysis of this tragedy, when I saw that first officers badge cam I couldn’t believe the discipline and calmness he exhibited. Using his light his safety sling muzzle control …. I don’t think it gets any better. Real life super hero. Yea I know this is what he gets paid to do…. Not interested in cop bashing. I’m sure uvalde officers get paid the same. This guy definitely isn’t meeting the “minimum requirements” expected by the department.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Definitely paid attention and had some good training.
    Remained calm and determined to do the job.

Nobody standing around trying to figure out who's in control or waiting for instructions, they got to work and got the job done.

Great job.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    One of my training partners and I were talking about this. This training partner is a retired SD Lt. who was commander of the narcotics department, SWAT team, and lead firearms instructor. I commented similar to the op, my friend was like, "well, they did what they were supposed to do, don't let something like the cluster in Uvalde make you change your standards. The Nashville response is what we expect out of officers."

That being said, they did good work, were clearly well trained and had great mindset/demeanor. It didn't appear by their clothing that they were regular patrolmen but some type of street unit that I imagine has access and desire to a higher level of training.

The school employees also did a good job. The sad part is even when things go like they should it takes 11 minutes for a response from officers. Not criticizing anyone, that is just how those things work. You are your own first responder.

BTW, there are some officers here that contribute to this forum that I imagine would have impressed us in a similar fashion.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    One of my training partners and I were talking about this. This training partner is a retired SD Lt. who was commander of the narcotics department, SWAT team, and lead firearms instructor. I commented similar to the op, my friend was like, "well, they did what they were supposed to do, don't let something like the cluster in Uvalde make you change your standards. The Nashville response is what we expect out of officers."

That being said, they did good work, were clearly well trained and had great mindset/demeanor. It didn't appear by their clothing that they were regular patrolmen but some type of street unit that I imagine has access and desire to a higher level of training.

The school employees also did a good job. The sad part is even when things go like they should it takes 11 minutes for a response from officers. Not criticizing anyone, that is just how those things work. You are your own first responder.

BTW, there are some officers here that contribute to this forum that I imagine would have impressed us in a similar fashion.

I don’t think there is enough training involved with officers seems after they pass their qualifier for accuracy there is little to no continued training I could be wrong. Not to mention subpar applicants being pushed through because of limited applicants and people leaving.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I don’t think there is enough training involved with officers seems after they pass their qualifier for accuracy there is little to no continued training I could be wrong. Not to mention subpar applicants being pushed through because of limited applicants and people leaving.
    Police are just regular people doing a job that sometimes has extraordinary demands. From experience I know that many just look at it as a job and aren't going to do any extra. As you say there isn't a whole bunch of training after the academy if you aren't with a special unit. Some will seek more training out on their own, most won't.

One thing to remember is weapons and tactics are just a very small part of a LEO's job. It is a life and death part of the job, but there is a whole lot of other stuff to know as well. They used to say most officers would never be in a gunfight and the majority would not even have to draw their gun in a career. I did not find that to be the case, but officers in a neighboring department did.

Top Bottom