• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SynnerG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Why yes, I'm the same guy that started a thread about getting updates about NFA item timelines and I have more questions. ;-)

I'm waiting on a 22Sparrow for my Walther P22 and was wondering if anyone knows if suppressors will attached to the 5" barrel version with the compensator. I've seen lots of pics and vids of cans on the 3.4" model, but never the 5", so I assume something about the compensator won't allow it to fit on there correctly? This may be worrisome only because every online site I've look at is out of stock of the 3.4" barrel so even if I get my suppressor I won't be able to use it til I get that new barrel.

Also, I have a Rock River Arms Entry Tactical AR-15, with a 22-drop in bolt kit. The stock flash suppressor is threaded on, so I was wondering if I took it off would I be able to thread on the suppressor? I know it can't handle the gasses of a true 5.56 round, but I only ever really use the AR for 22 use these days to save on money. Or will I need some sort of adapter or can it just not be done with out a different barrel type?

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    You should get a barrel spacer for the Rock River. .22 cans are only threaded .400 deep, whereas the barrel is threaded .600, IIRC. You really want the can to thread against the barrel shoulder, or in this case the spacer.

ngroark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Greensburg
    had a question that might git but idk... just got a .338 lapua... was wondering if i might be able to put a silencer on it that i could take off and put on my 308. not as effective im sure but still might help a little...

KingWeb50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    had a question that might git but idk... just got a .338 lapua... was wondering if i might be able to put a silencer on it that i could take off and put on my 308. not as effective im sure but still might help a little...

yes you can do that

SynnerG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    With a simple search of Google the first thing I found was a site called The Silencer Store selling a pack of 3 aluminum spacers for AR15s for this very problem. I'll assume this is what you're talking about, so I'll probably pick this item up. Thanks!

You should get a barrel spacer for the Rock River. .22 cans are only threaded .400 deep, whereas the barrel is threaded .600, IIRC. You really want the can to thread against the barrel shoulder, or in this case the spacer.

SynnerG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Well, I got the call this morning from ACME, my stamp is in. Now the true test to see if can get ready and drive down to Seymour before they close today to pick it up!! Then we'll see if it really will fit on the 5".

Bigdee06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    The thread pitch should be the same but the twist rate of the rifling will be different from the .223 to the .22. This sometimes causes bullet instability and that could result in a baffle strike. A lot of people run these on their conversion kits without problems so you'll probably be okay but it is a possibilty.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    With a simple search of Google the first thing I found was a site called The Silencer Store selling a pack of 3 aluminum spacers for AR15s for this very problem. I'll assume this is what you're talking about, so I'll probably pick this item up. Thanks!

They make the spacers that are threaded, they are a lot nicer than the plain washers ( don't fall off). Just don't use the crush/lock washer that the Flash Hider is butted up against.

SynnerG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Thanks for the additional info guys. Tried taking the muzzle device off my AR, but to no avail. Will need to look around for some common advice, but not in a rush to find out. Here's the Sparrow on the Walther tho!

Dropped in some wire pulling gel like the Silencerco guys recommend and did some test firing. It's a very satisfying *whump* sound, with no snap or report. Going to have a ton of fun with this when I can shoot some more and hopefully make it out to the HUSH shoot this year! Officially a "stamp collector" now, haha.
    photo.php

Top Bottom