• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I'm starting to get serious about getting into suppressor ownership. However, I feel like a complete idiot when I stop in a shop and look at the display. Just seems to be a bunch of black tubes, only differing in diameter and length. Are there any good resources giving pros and cons of different units? For instance, how do I decide what material? Aluminum, Ti, Inconel, etc? How are they cleaned, especially with different construction methods. durability? effectiveness w/ multi-calibers.

I don't want to make a mistake and end up with something that I hate. Not really the money, but the silly wait to take possession of it, and limited market for used units.
    Appreciate any pointers.
    --Rick

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    If you can list out the firearms you want to suppress, and priorities, we can help lead you in the right direction. Have you shot with a silencer before? Most people go for ultimate suppression in their first can which usually results in something big and heavy that is fine for bench shooting, but not much fun for anything dynamic. One thing I've learned since buying my first can is that I will always be using ear protection and that long heavy cans are annoying. In general you want to stay away from aluminum silencers. If you are a short barrel mag dumper, I would look at inconel or stainless steel silencers. If you are a more realistic in your firing schedule, titanium silencers can shave a lot of weight but may spark. You just need to consider your priorities of suppression, weight, flash signature, blowback, and caliber compatibility, and those priorities will help you pick the right can for you. Silencershops website has some good entry reading as well.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I have shot a number of suppressed guns from 22 bolt action to 22 auto pistol, to AR .223 and up to a suppressed Tavor. It has been very interesting hearing the semi auto mechanics function rather than hearing the gunpowder!

I know I won't have a single device that will meet all my wants.
    First, I'm looking for a 22lr suppressor for both pistol and bolt action rifle use. I suppose I could want to get a threaded barrel for a 10/22 if that would impact things. All would have fixed barrels so a Nelson device shouldn't be important. My biggest concern is I don't want to destroy it cleaning it. I've heard of "the dip" dissolving aluminum baffles.

Second, I'm looking for a 9mm/357 rifle/carbine suppressor. I may also drop to a 300 BO. Don't have plans for a threaded 9mm pistol so that isn't as much a concern.

Third, would look for an AR capable unit. .223/5.56 to 300 Backout, etc. Wonder how much of this I could get with the 9mm unit.

Not really a mag dumper, but do shoot some IDPA competitions. May move to 2 gun/3 gun etc where quick shots happen, but not multiple mags continuously.

I've seen some of the recent advertisements about a free 22lr if you purchase a centerfire unit. However, I'd still have to pay the $200 tax on both...

Financially, I'm the situation where I'd much rather pay more and cry once than saving a couple hundred $ and not be happy.

(The silver lining of the Govt Overreach on mufflers is that I have to think and make sure of my purchase, rather than going hog wild and buying one of each!)
    --Rick

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I have shot a number of suppressed guns from 22 bolt action to 22 auto pistol, to AR .223 and up to a suppressed Tavor. It has been very interesting hearing the semi auto mechanics function rather than hearing the gunpowder!

I know I won't have a single device that will meet all my wants.
    First, I'm looking for a 22lr suppressor for both pistol and bolt action rifle use. I suppose I could want to get a threaded barrel for a 10/22 if that would impact things. All would have fixed barrels so a Nelson device shouldn't be important. My biggest concern is I don't want to destroy it cleaning it. I've heard of "the dip" dissolving aluminum baffles.

Second, I'm looking for a 9mm/357 rifle/carbine suppressor. I may also drop to a 300 BO. Don't have plans for a threaded 9mm pistol so that isn't as much a concern.

Third, would look for an AR capable unit. .223/5.56 to 300 Backout, etc. Wonder how much of this I could get with the 9mm unit.

Not really a mag dumper, but do shoot some IDPA competitions. May move to 2 gun/3 gun etc where quick shots happen, but not multiple mags continuously.

I've seen some of the recent advertisements about a free 22lr if you purchase a centerfire unit. However, I'd still have to pay the $200 tax on both...

Financially, I'm the situation where I'd much rather pay more and cry once than saving a couple hundred $ and not be happy.

(The silver lining of the Govt Overreach on mufflers is that I have to think and make sure of my purchase, rather than going hog wild and buying one of each!)
    --Rick

For rimfire, the Rugged Oculus and Dead Air Mask are typically highly rated. Both are around $400 and are made of stainless steel so you can use aggressive cleaning methods. Since they are stainless steel, they are on the heavier side. You wont notice the weight on a rifle, but you will on polymer handguns like a TX22. Otter Creek Labs just released a new titanium rimfire can. With titanium you can use every aggressive cleaning method as well. I have an EA Nyx titanium rimfire, but the baffles are not shielded so sometimes it is a pain to push the stack out of the tube. I would say only get a rimfire can that has shielded baffles so that you can always easily slide the baffle stack out to clean it. For cleaning, you can just take a glass jar and drop in the baffles and pour in Jelmar CLR. Let it sit for a day then the baffles should wipe clean with a paper towel and look brand new.

For 9mm/357, take a look at the Otter Creek Lithium. It is titanium and very light weight and supposedly suppresses pretty well. It can handle some light 5.56 use and 300 blackout too. If you want a single can for 9mm and 5.56, something like the Silencerco Omega 36M can handle up to 338 lapua and heavy 5.56 firing schedules in addition to 9mm/357.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Directed OP to pewscience.com. Sounds like he can find some answers there too.

Another good reference for performance is https://thunderbeastarms.com/sound/summit2023/

The silencer summit has all the details about test setup so the results can be recreated by others. Jay at Pewscience thinks his method is a trade secret and only shares results that cant be independently verified. That being said, most of pew Science is directionally correct.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Another good reference for performance is https://thunderbeastarms.com/sound/summit2023/

The silencer summit has all the details about test setup so the results can be recreated by others. Jay at Pewscience thinks his method is a trade secret and only shares results that cant be independently verified. That being said, most of pew Science is directionally correct.
    That is some pretty crunchy data. Looking at that on my phone makes my head hurt.

HK Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Well....

Other than 22, suppressors are still loud, especially rifle suppressors, just not as loud as unsuppressed.

You probably can't go wrong with a DA Mask for a 22 can, lots of good reviews.

I bought a GA Optimus and I'm pretty happy with it. It will do 22, 9mm, 223 and 308. I've found that it's best to to dedicate one can per gun and it's really not all that convenient to swap cans around guns due to zeros changing and having to buy muzzle devices for them.

Refrigerator27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Noblesville
    Additionally r/NFA on Reddit is a good source. A lot of people post there with their experience on specific suppressors, companies, and warranty processes. There you’ll also find out what not to buy.

Top Bottom