• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PointFiveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    St. Joseph County
    I was just looking at that on there yesterday, did they just start carrying it? I was in the lab this morning trying to brew up some ideas that were inspired by that.

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    The rep for this stuff showcased it at the USA Knifemakers annual hammer in / forge in this past summer. Tracey gave some of the material away and I have seen a few knives made using the stuff.
    It is interesting to say the least. I havent had the opportunity to use any yet but I probably will get a few pieces and try them out. Just need the right knife design that the krinite will look good on.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I haven't looked at it at USAKnifemaker in a couple weeks, but I thought their initial batch got sold out. As stated above, some of it was given away over the summer and the rest was put up on their site.

It's not my thing, but it does look pretty cool.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    My mistake...I didn't realize they got more in. Plus now they have sheets the same size as their G-10 and Micarta sheets.

I do think it's cool and know some people that would like that on their knives (my older daughter, for one)...I just don't like bright colors on most things personally.

If it wasn't $18 for a set of scales, I'd get a set of the Sunspot for the knife I'm making my daughter for Christmas.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Cool. I'd like to hear how it is to work with. I saw one short review that said the thinner sheets were really flexible, but that the thicker stuff seemed more solid. :dunno:

I need belts also....they seem to go quick. I read a thread on USN that the Trugrit economy belts 40-80 grits IIRC) were cheap and actaully had a really good review that compared them to the Cubitron belts. I think I'm going to try them out next. For around $4 a piece, it's worth a try.

I was also having some issues flattening a 1084 blank last night and found my platen isn't flat (which explains a lot), so I'm trying to figure something out for that. Hopefully stripping the paint off the back side will reveal a flat surface and I can just flip it around. :n00b:

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    just buy the pyro cermatic platen from tracy. i wrestled with a not flat, flat platen for years. best $15 i ever spent.

i have tried the trugrits.... i have tried a lot of different belts. but the old saying of "use belts like they are free" is how i do it now. and i save money buy using and buying the blaze belts. also, before..... i would buy 36, 80, 100, 120, 220, 300, and 400 grit belts. now i only buy 80 grit blaze and 220 grit trizac (gator). and a scotchbrite. i will be getting some 100 grit blaze, just on price though. at $5, i can't pass that up. i spent more money on a bunch of economy belts than i do buying blaze belts. and i love them.

using a new belts makes things SO much easier.... fresh belts make all the difference and is, i think, the biggest step a new guy can take to make his knives look better. the more you wrestle with it, the more room for error and an inferior product.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Strange coincidence...I just bought the pyro platen and threw on a couple of the 100 grit blaze before I read your reply. That's about all I can afford right now, this knife making thing isn't cheap, that's for sure. I could have bought about ten or twenty nice knives by now that someon else made. :laugh: ...but that really isn't the point.

Did you put the glass over the uneven platen or have it surface ground first? I suspect, by using Tracy's instructions, that the JB weld would fill in the slight void in the middle and make the uneven platen a non-issue.

I might take the platen over to my friends shop and have him weld something to the bottom of it for a small shelf for the glass to sit on. I doubt I'll be able to drill into it.

So you go from the 80 grit Blaze straight to 220 and hit it with a scotchbrite belt?

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    That's pretty rockin'. I'm going to have to give that a try. Only having to buy a couple grits of belts will make things a lot simpler.

it has been going on for awhile. alot of guys and gals have been going to this.... in reality, you are just giving it an even finish in ONE grit to move to another and redo it..... as long as you get everything flat and the scratches are uniform you get the SAME finish to the same DEPTH.... makes sense.... and few belts to buy!

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    i just sent my order. i had to pick between the kirite and more belts... belts won.... and i spent more on belts than the last knife i made and sold... good thing i don't do this for a living! :(

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    I'm trying to get this batch of knives done on the belts I have. It's just six small knives, but started out as eight. :laugh:

These will only be knives 2-7 for me, so I think I'm still doing good. These will be Christmas presents and I knew trying to get this many knives going at once with a deadline was a bold move for the little experience I have.

spacer.gif

Last edited:

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    That's about what I have been doing Joe. I use the 80 then the 220 ..etc.
    I didnt know anyone else was doing it. I still do a lot of hand sanding tho for mirror finish.

Top Bottom