• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • us_agent

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    The Supreme Court Is On The Verge Of Taking Up A Huge Gun Control Case

WASHINGTON (AP) — The next big issue in the national debate over guns — whether people have a right to be armed in public — is moving closer to Supreme Court review.

A provocative ruling by a panel of federal appeals court judges in Chicago struck down the only statewide ban on carrying concealed weapons, in Illinois. The ruling is somewhat at odds with those of other federal courts that have largely upheld state and local gun laws, including restrictions on concealed weapons, since the Supreme Court's landmark ruling declaring that people have a right to have a gun for self-defense.

In 2008 the court voted 5-4 in District of Columbia v. Heller to strike down Washington's ban on handgun ownership and focused mainly on the right to defend one's own home. The court left for another day how broadly the Second Amendment may protect gun rights in other settings.

Legal scholars say the competing appellate rulings mean that day is drawing near for a new high court case on gun rights.

The appeals court ruling in Chicago came early in a week that ended with the mass shooting in Connecticut that left 28 people dead, including 20 elementary school children and the presumed gunman.

Laurie Levenson, a professor at the Loyola Law School in Los Angeles, said that along with thorny legal issues, "we have the overlay of these tragedies hitting us on a somewhat regular basis."

The author of a book that traces the battle over gun control in the U.S. said he thinks Supreme Court intervention is likely in the short term. "Since the Heller case, the next great question for the Supreme Court to decide was whether there is a right to carry guns in public," said UCLA law professor Adam Winkler, whose book "Gunfight" was published last year.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    This is nothing more than a liberal media fluff piece. Anytime a story uses "legal scholars", you can almost always write it off as liberal nonsense.

There is nothing moving to the SCOTUS anytime soon regarding gun rights.

us_agent

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I wouldn't hold my breath thinking something is not aloof. (There's your word of the day, aloof. Haven't seen or heard that one for a long time..)

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I think the recent Federal Appeals court ruling got it right. It's pretty simple actually. I don't understand that on the one hand the Supreme Court can establish that it is Constitutionally sound to keep and bear arms to defend oneself in their home (Heller) but on the other hand they have to leave their homes at some point in time.

Should they also not be afforded those same Constitutional rights to bear arms outside the home? After all you are not solely keeping and bearing arms to defend your property but your are tasked with defending your life and liberty as well which supersedes those narrow property boundaries. Therefore one should be able to carry that right with them wherever that might be.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I wouldn't hold my breath thinking something is not aloof. (There's your word of the day, aloof. Haven't seen or heard that one for a long time..)

aloof: distant, unsympathetic, or supercilious in manner, attitude, or feeling

If you're going to provide us all with a "word of the day", you should use it correctly.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You forget that they still have to base their decisions off of legal precedent and the constitution. They have already set legal precedent in favor of guns recently. An overwhelming number of states have ruled in favor of it via legislation and some in constitutional amendments. So in order for them to rule unfavorably they would pretty much have to take back the previous two years of rulings and tell every state in the nation that they are wrong for allowing it.

On top of all that the appeals court just ruled that we have the right to self defense and a decision against gun carry would be completely against that

This is a lot of legal precedent for them to just say no more guns in public. I dont think a court case has ever turned over this recent of decision made by the very same court. If it has been done before please enlighten me

Top Bottom