• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    A couple of nights ago I was using my Sure Fire G6 light which worked perfect. I turned it back on about 1 min later and it did not work. I figured the bulb went. Later when I installed a new bulb it still would not work only to find out when the batteries go they don't start to dim but just shuts off. Needless to say I learned something new about modern flashlights. Hope this helps someone in the future and saves them a trip for a new bulb and $30.00. (High intensity)

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I have a Streamlight that does the same thing. I just make sure I charge it once a week and I change the batteries out in my non-rechargeable lights every couple of months. The extra cost of batteries kind of sucks but, it is far better than the potential cost of a light going out when you need it most.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    That's how lithium batteries usually die. I've had Milwaukee power tools just stop mid-operation. Fullspeedfullspeedstop. Won't even operate without load.

At least you now have a spare!

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have a couple lights that use lithium batteries as well. I didn't even think about them just going dark. I have spare batteries for them, but now maybe I need to make sure I have the spares closer to the lights.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    It is likely a regulated flashlight - not a direct drive. Many "modern" flashlights are... most that cost less than $50 are not.

Direct drive: As the battery is depleted, the voltage drops and the light dims slowly.
    Regulated: The circuitry regulates the available battery power to maintain a somewhat consistent input to the bulb/led until there simply isn't enough battery power left to do so. Often, immediately before the "end," the light will flicker.

FYI - What is a G6? I know the 6P and the G2 but haven't heard of the G6.

straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    just to throw this out there I got a new SUREFIRE E2D and love it.
    this is the first surfire i have had. i see why the cost more.

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    What is a G6?? Get a Surefire with LED instead of a incan bulb. My LX2, E1B, L1 digi luminax and the wifes G2 LEd are super bright, great on batteries and get used everyday. With those you can tell if the battery or batteries are getting low. I just ordered some 6PX pro's for my Mom and Stepfathers Christmas presents. Of course I am going to have to QC test them before I send them off. I have to make sure these newer cheaper brighter Surefires are up to par.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I for one have never seen the point of paying that ridiculous price for a light that ONLY takes batteries made by the same company and puts out 16million candlepower for all of about 10 minutes to 1 hour. I'm not trying to cook or start fires with it, I don't care if the ISS can see it, and I don't plan on needing to see that danged far or give away my position from such a distance. I carry a $10 neebo that operates at 35 lumen on a single AA and with regular and daily use a battery lasts me almost a YEAR! It's no bigger than a shotgun shell, fits in most rings, and I've been using the crap out of it for 3 years now. That's good enough for me, but if you really need something brighter try this one out: The Torch Flashlight - World's Brightest Flashlight from Wicked Lasers
    The price has really come down on these and you could eliminate enough stuff from a BOB to almost make room for the extra batteries!

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    I stand corrected, It is a G2. I also used it on occasion. Now have a box of batteries in my truck. The old ones were at least 6-8 mos old because it worked fine. Schooling has a cost and I learned a good lesson. Thanks to all!!!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    A couple of nights ago I was using my Sure Fire G6 light which worked perfect. I turned it back on about 1 min later and it did not work. I figured the bulb went. Later when I installed a new bulb it still would not work only to find out when the batteries go they don't start to dim but just shuts off. Needless to say I learned something new about modern flashlights. Hope this helps someone in the future and saves them a trip for a new bulb and $30.00. (High intensity)
    You can usually get a bit more out of them in an LED light like an Innova X5 which also uses 123 batteries. Not ideal but it is good to have at least one LED light that uses 123's.

Also, using LED's as task lights saves your tac lights for when you really need bright light. Saves you money too.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I for one have never seen the point of paying that ridiculous price for a light that ONLY takes batteries made by the same company
    You kinda got that wrong. Surefire sells 123 batteries, they even wrap them in heat shrink (for a reason AKA 12 gauge recoil) but you can buy any 123 and use them in all lights.

You can also tape batteries together or use large heat shrink tube to replicate their set ups if need be. It is a good idea to do this on shotgun lights.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Get the LED conversion for your G2. I did and it makes a big difference. I went from 60 lumens and 1 1/2 hours of battery life to 80 lumens and 11 hours of battery life with whiter light.

sonrider657

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Get a Malkoff LED Unit (if you can find one - they tend to sell out quickly). It will greatly increase your output AND increase your battery life without a sudden shut off.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    i might know a guy who actually called surefire customer service a decade ago when his light died like that..... maybe.... after chagning the bulb.... and he might have thought the batteries were new, and they were not.

i might know that guy........ maybe.

Top Bottom