• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Is it legal to rat trap squirrels when in hunting season?

it seems as though you can for grey and fox squirrel. But it would be as a nusciance animal. Not a fur bearer. But I think the original premise is describing a time when DNR rules are secondary to survival.

They are on to me lately, all I see after exposing myself (on the porch) is running tails.

I don't even have anything to say to this. That's pretty impressive!!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    A Chipmunk rifle along with subsonic ammo sits next to an AR and 870.

Most kills: Chipmunk
    Most grabbed to step outside: AR
    Oh SH** moment: it was the 870

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    just curious, what kind of OhDang moment would have you grabbing an 870 over an AR?

Matt
    In winter of 2013-14 a wolf had taken to using the river after it froze. Not a huge deal but he was also watching me and the house during daylight hours. I am pretty vigilant no matter where I live and keep a close eye on changes in my environment or routines of others.

One morning I spot fresh tracks on the river, scan them with binos and later in the day while out splitting some wood I walk out and check them out. Get a feel for his hunting routine on the river. How he goes up and where he often doubles back through the forest. At night he even adjusts his travel to stay out of the lights I left on a few times on the patio. Understand the river is just 3-4 steps from our patio.

During the coming days I watch and see new tracks, note when etc....then one day I notice something different in the snow. I go check it out. Oh **** moment #1. He adjusted his routine to use the forest and river bank to approach the house. He stopped a couple hundred yards down stream where he could see me. Sat there and watched. Then he cut across and approached from my side. I can't see him, he can't see me. Twice he climbed the bank to check on me. The last time he was at the edge of the forest and yard where a swale/cut drains into the river. He popped up and sat there for awhile watching me from behind some large pines. This is 30 yards down stream from the patio where I was stacking wood. Maybe -20 out and he has time to watch me. He drops back down to the river and leaves.

Next time same routine, except now he comes up to just below the patio, very steep but short cut bank for him. He lunges up the bank and races across the patio. Ambush. His tracks go across patio and then our drive. We were gone for the day, Xmas eve showing family the area. We got back just before dark and I saw the tracks going past front door. Epic cold winter, turns out wolves hunt feeders for deer. We don't feed deer but rabbits were using the feeder. Oh **** moment #2.

Realize it gets dark early up Notrth and we live in the most remote area of Wisconsin. Zero light pollution and on moonless nights it is dark. I come out of the detached garage one night and guess who I bump into in the dark. Oh **** moment #3. Big time.

On #4 I grabbed the shotgun, put a blast into the ground but he was way down river already.

On #5 just before ice out I caught him flat footed in the yard not far from back door and put one in the grass just behind him. That was 4/14. Last winter he changed his routine.

At close range with a wolf or bear it is 12 gauge slugs. If they are attacking an animal of ours farther away, AR for more surgical approach but odds are our animal is dead already. You are justified.

If I can see his eyes, it is shotgun. If you pop a wolf running away with an AR it is more than likely a handful of Federal and State charges. Even in the middle of no where, there are no secrets. Not worth it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is it legal to rat trap squirrels when in hunting season? I've kept Duke #110's, live traps and rat traps in my "oh no" SHTF stash for years...

I just got in two more conibear #110's to round out my trapping supplies. I have not treated these traps. Should I use modern day treatments or old style? I have a couple of walnut trees nearby.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I just got in two more conibear #110's to round out my trapping supplies. I have not treated these traps. Should I use modern day treatments or old style? I have a couple of walnut trees nearby.

Dye and wax is primarily for foot-hold traps used for canines/felines.

Your body-grips do not need a modern treatment nor dye and wax. I would suggest painting them. The reason for this is rust protection. If you paint them they will last longer. You can dip them in Speed Dip, F1 or whatever if you wish and you already have it on hand. But a couple of thin coats of flat rustoleum works great. I use spray paint but some guys that do it in volume are buying the paint in cans, thinning it down, and dipping the traps in the paint.

Anyway, they will work fine with the factory grease and oils all over them. If you want them to last longer, coat. them with whatever you have on hand.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Dye and wax is primarily for foot-hold traps used for canines/felines.

Your body-grips do not need a modern treatment nor dye and wax. I would suggest painting them. The reason for this is rust protection. If you paint them they will last longer. You can dip them in Speed Dip, F1 or whatever if you wish and you already have it on hand. But a couple of thin coats of flat rustoleum works great. I use spray paint but some guys that do it in volume are buying the paint in cans, thinning it down, and dipping the traps in the paint.

Anyway, they will work fine with the factory grease and oils all over them. If you want them to last longer, coat. them with whatever you have on hand.

:yesway: Thanks for the advice! What color do you paint them?

Top Bottom