• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Those Canadians are always called so "nice" but they are always hating on our freedoms. We should be given a path to Alaska that you can safely and legally transport firearms, obviously would never happen but what the heck. I have always wanted to go to Alaska and knowing i couldn't bring a gun kinda craps on that dream

There is. Fly. I wanted to take a driving trip to Alaska years ago. After exhaustively reviewing their gun laws and import rules (pretty much everything is illegal), I came to the conclusion that the only way to get there is to fly. It's not too bad from either Indianapolis or Chicago. Alaska Airlines flies from Indy to Seattle and from Seatle to Anchorage. (From Chicago, there are a couple of options.) Brought my EDC (checked luggage of course); no issues.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There is. Fly. I wanted to take a driving trip to Alaska years ago. After exhaustively reviewing their gun laws and import rules (pretty much everything is illegal), I came to the conclusion that the only way to get there is to fly. It's not too bad from either Indianapolis or Chicago. Alaska Airlines flies from Indy to Seattle and from Seatle to Anchorage. (From Chicago, there are a couple of options.) Brought my EDC (checked luggage of course); no issues.
    Yes that is a good option, but not the only way. As described above there is a Car Ferry which bypasses Canada.

There are also the various shipping services (fedex or ups, etc)

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Yes that is a good option, but not the only way. As described above there is a Car Ferry which bypasses Canada.

There are also the various shipping services (fedex or ups, etc)
    I transported my handgun up to Alaska on an Alaskan flight out of Indy. (Indy-Seattle-Anchorage-Kenai / No problems with TSA)

My shotgun was shipped to an FFL in Soldotna, AK. Total cost was around $75. I bought my ammo at a Sportsman's Warehouse in Soldotna.

If I ever bring them home, it will probably be either by airline or on a ferry out of Whittier, AK down to Bellingham, WA and then drive home.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I hunted caribou in far northern Quebec in about 2003. We had filled out all necessary paperwork to bring our hunting rifles and ammunition into Canada. When asked our purpose, we responded that we were going to hunt caribou in northern Quebec.

The customs officer asked if we had the proper documentation for our firearms. We responded yes and handed the paperwork over to be reviewed and then signed in their presence. We answered all of the questions,...how much ammo, how many knives, any tobacco, any booze, etc... Everything was very polite. He thanked us for completing the paperwork properly. At the end of the interview as we were ready to be waived on our way, we asked, what about our bows?

The customs officer absolutely flipped out and started screaming at us.
    The one phrase I recall vividly, through his thick smarmy french accent was: "Is a bow not a weapon in YOUR country?"

Our polite and calm response : "You asked for declaration of firearms and that is what we gave you. We were unaware of any documentation required for a bow but thought we should ask the question since we were declaring all other items."

Again, screaming even louder now: "Is a bow not a weapon in YOUR country?" Followed by an almost incoherant four-letter word rant about Americans in general.

My hunting partners response (and I knew it was coming): "Yeah, if you are a f-*k'in Indian".

After pulling every single item out of the truck and practically stripping us down naked, 2 hours later, we were allowed to go on our merry way.

(PSA: No offense meant to any Native American or anyone of Native American descent meant by this post.)

Dirty Steve

Top Bottom