• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I'm thinking about taking my girlfriend shooting. She's from a very pro-gun family, but has never actually handled a gun.

Any advice for taking her on her first range day?

So, I've got some low-recoil rounds for the Mosin, and a small number of .22s. I seriously wish I would have gotten more of those low-recoil Czech 7.62x54 rounds when SGAmmo had them. They shoot like .22lr. I've only got a few dozen of them left.

I know I need to get a second set of earmuffs. Think it's okay to just jump right into the Ruger 10/22? I have a .22 bolt action, but it's prone to weak primer strikes so I wouldn't feel safe giving it to an amateur shooter.

Any ideas to make it a fun day?

No, I'm not going to hand her a 12 gauge or some hand cannon. :): Figured there'd be people thinking about that.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Very first date with my wife was to an indoor range in Lafayette (don't remember the name). She shot a Ruger MkII and a Colt Pocketlite 380.

I'm no instructor, but its important to:

Emphasize gun safety
    Give calm, clear instructions about how to load, chamber, use the sights, etc.
    Do NOT ignore any concerns or fears she might have
    Emphasize gun safety
    If she wants to stop, STOP

Leave the Mosin at home, even with reduced recoil ammo...and stay away from anybody shooting a 'boomer' or anything with a muzzle brake. A 10/22 is a fine weapon for a novice shooter.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    i agree with that.

first go through anything and everything safety. then anything and everything for operating the firearm she is about to use (the 22)

i wouldnt give her the mosin yet. start with the 22 - its fun, cheap, and wont hurt her. then maybe step up to a 223, and a smaller 7.62. big booms, and a shoulder-beating will only scare or turn people off.

this is exactly what i plan on doing when i teach my GF to shoot - but she is scared as hell of guns. coming from a pro-gun family you've got a leg up.

GingerGlockGirl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2013
    My boyfriend took me to an indoor range for our first date. He brought safety glasses and ear protection and went through all the safety steps. We shot his Glock 27 but he had the barrel conversion kit so I we started shooting 9mm and then stepped it up to .40.

I was nervous at first but fast forward 11 months I know have my LTCH and carry a Glock 26. :)

Good Luck!

Top Bottom