• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Can anyone around here taper pin a FSB to an AR barrel? I'd like to find someone that can do a good job (FSB not canted, things not marred, and a good pin fit) and not charge as much as ADCO wants ($115 for taper pinning).

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Here is a cheaper option, but not local. AR15BARRELS.COM - Shop Services

I had this done by a local guy a few years ago, and it ended up badly canted. He did a good job of drilling/milling the parallel slots on the bottom of the barrel correctly, but then failed to secure the fsb when tapering the hole. The result was that the fsb rotated while he was tapering. I bought a correct size taper reamer for myself and fixed it as best I could. It still isn't perfectly straight, but I was able to zero the rifle which was not possible after the gunsmith was done.

If I had it to do all over again, I would send the barrel to the guy in the link above. My second option would be that I would find somebody to drill the straight holes/slots, but would taper it myself. If you had the holes/slots oriented correctly, you could insert a straight pin in one of the holes to secure the fsb while you taper the other hole.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yes, I have seen this guy's website before. Thanks for the link. I haven't seen much in the way of reviews, and I'd figured people would recommend him instead of ADCO if his work was decent considering ADCO is $85 more expensive??? Anyway, still hoping to find someone local so I don't have to ship things all the way to CA.

Here is a cheaper option, but not local. AR15BARRELS.COM - Shop Services

I had this done by a local guy a few years ago, and it ended up badly canted. He did a good job of drilling/milling the parallel slots on the bottom of the barrel correctly, but then failed to secure the fsb when tapering the hole. The result was that the fsb rotated while he was tapering. I bought a correct size taper reamer for myself and fixed it as best I could. It still isn't perfectly straight, but I was able to zero the rifle which was not possible after the gunsmith was done.

If I had it to do all over again, I would send the barrel to the guy in the link above. My second option would be that I would find somebody to drill the straight holes/slots, but would taper it myself. If you had the holes/slots oriented correctly, you could insert a straight pin in one of the holes to secure the fsb while you taper the other hole.

dennymac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    La Grange, KY
    Good afternoon. If you have not yet had your FSB pinned, I can do something like that.
    What I do is to tap the base from both sides and mill flats on the barrel. That allows you to 'tilt' the front sight to get your rear sight mechanically centered. I can do this while you wait. Take the front handguard off and we can go from there. I am in KY just outside of Louisville. Best of luck, and have a great day. DennyMac

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    So you put set screws in each side of the FSB and mill flats on the barrel? Do you tapper pin the FSB once you get mechanical zero?

PM me a cost. I'm probably a month or two out from having hardware ready to go. It'll likely be a nitrided barrel if that matters to you.

Good afternoon. If you have not yet had your FSB pinned, I can do something like that.
    What I do is to tap the base from both sides and mill flats on the barrel. That allows you to 'tilt' the front sight to get your rear sight mechanically centered. I can do this while you wait. Take the front handguard off and we can go from there. I am in KY just outside of Louisville. Best of luck, and have a great day. DennyMac

Top Bottom