• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    My wife shot a bear a few weeks ago and we are just now getting to try some of the meat. I have to say, it looked and smelled just like beef as I was cutting it up. I browned some in the process of making stew tonight and I was shocked that I could not tell the taste from beef. I did cut away almost all of the fat and the silver skin so that really helped. I am pleased and now the wife want to go bear hunting again. It's a win - win!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Wow- I didn't know the woods sw of Martinsville held bear!:laugh:

I've heard bear is delicious, but I've never had any to taste. Hunts aren't all that expensive, maybe I'll get in on one someday.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I have bow killed several and the only way I really liked it was ground up into burger and grilled. I'm glag you like it and +1 for the wife!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I never tried black bear but I had Grizz back in the '80s and wasn't impressed at all. In fairness even our guide said black bear was better eatin' but I wouldn't know.
    Congrats on the score on the bear and +1 for the better half enjoying the hunt.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My wife shot a bear a few weeks ago and we are just now getting to try some of the meat. I have to say, it looked and smelled just like beef as I was cutting it up. I browned some in the process of making stew tonight and I was shocked that I could not tell the taste from beef. I did cut away almost all of the fat and the silver skin so that really helped. I am pleased and now the wife want to go bear hunting again. It's a win - win!

It makes GREAT chili meat. And I do mean GREAT :)

brutalone

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Westside Indianapolis
    I don't believe in killing predators for meat, trophy, or sport..... Unless in self defense of course.... or if you do it on their terms....
    I'd love to go Kodiak hunting with a spear! What a rush!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If you do take on a big brownie with a stick, be sure to bring a buddy with a video camera! :D

That's the least he could do after posting such a buzzkill comment like that. I'd love to watch the tough guy get in a fist fight with a bear on you tube. :runaway:

I've been black bear hunting on several occations and while I've never been fortunate enough to take one, I've always enjoyed the hunts. On one of these trips there was a hunter at the camp who shot a bear and was planning on only keeping the hide and discarding the meat. After word got around camp about that and a few hunters gave him some "little talks" about hunting ethics he decided to keep the meat. He had heard it wasn't good so he wasn't going to keep it. He ended up giving the guides wife enough for everyone in camp to try a steak so she let it marinate over night and the following evening I had one of the absolute best steaks I've ever had in my life. Hands down that was one of the best meals of my life. I was nervous about whether I'd like it or not at first, but after the first bite I was hooked.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I don't believe in killing predators for meat, trophy, or sport..... Unless in self defense of course.... or if you do it on their terms....
    I'd love to go Kodiak hunting with a spear! What a rush!

How about for population control?
    Coyotes are out of hand in a lot of areas.
    Mt. Lions are too.
    Wolves are too.
    Racoons are too.
    Black bears are too.
    I do not bdlieve that spears are a legal weapon for predators. At least the ones I mentioned.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I had "bear paw" cooked by a Delewar indian out of West Virginia at Blue Licks in 2002. It was good. After we finshed it the skeleton looked like an infants hand. The Native rreenactor hung it from a pole along with a blonde scalp lock and paraded it through the pioneer camp until the authorities deemed it was a little too gruesome for the tourists.
    People don't realize how brutal the border wars of the Ohio valley were and it did add a bit of authenticty to the scene.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    How about for population control?
    Coyotes are out of hand in a lot of areas.
    Mt. Lions are too.
    Wolves are too.
    Racoons are too.
    Black bears are too.
    I do not bdlieve that spears are a legal weapon for predators. At least the ones I mentioned.

I know that with coons and yotes you can use anything you want.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I shot a polar bear in Alaska years ago. I didn't want to kill it, but I had no choice. The bear was aggressively entering a playground with a few kids playing in there. After I shot it, the parents thank me for saving their kid. I used a 300 WSM then, I had it in my patrol truck. It's common to carry a big gun with you in Alaska. Grizzly and Polar are a threat to people there. Well, at least in the remote areas where I did my patrol.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Here's a pic of my trophy wife;)... I also added a pic of my muskie I caught while we were there. We were hunting near Dryden, ON. We hope to go again in two year if things work out.:rockwoot:
    _mg_0456sm.jpg

img_0222sm.jpg

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    Bear meat

I got a fall bear and the meat was VERY tasty. My brother got 1 in the spring and it tasted bitter. I was told this is the difference between a bear that has been eating bearies and grass and 1 that has been eating all the winter kill after hibernation to put weight back on. Don't know how true that is but it sounded reasonable.

Top Bottom