• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Okay guys, I have a S&W 642-2 (Hammerless / Airweight). My girlfriend has shown an interest in possibly carrying for SD. I only carry the 642-2 every once in a while and I figured it would be a good carry weapon for her. Simple, aim and squeeze. Well our recent trip to the range determined that the 642-2 is not a good fit. I tried to explain that the long trigger would take getting used to and she needed to be patient, but what do I know? ANYWAYS...

Has anyone had experience with the Tauras 380 revolver? (or any make 380 revolver) for that matter.

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Taurus is the only 380 revolver I'm aware of and it still has a bobbed / concealed hammer which means it can't be fired single action and will most likely have a heavy trigger pull.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I should have kept typing on my original post. She didn't like the "kick" of the .38. The trigger would take some work but the kick is what did her in. That's why I thought maybe the 380 revolver would be a better fit.. Pending your guys opinion and reviews.

DogBone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2013
    Indy
    Edit: My brain missed the word revolver in the O.P. Please disregard my post. I purchased a 738 Taurus Compact Pistols (TCP) Sorry

I purchased one at the 1500. $220.00 Shot 60 flawless rounds through it. Proved accurate and comfortable to hold, does not kick too hard and trigger pull is excellent. So far I like it. Reviews that I found on it are quite good.
    Purchased a holster from Uncle George Holsters, on line. $45 He only makes small high quality leather holsters for 380's.
    One big reason I like mine is because I can carry it in my pocket. It is small and light. For my needs I am very pleased.

Last edited:

DogBone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2013
    Indy
    I should have kept typing on my original post. She didn't like the "kick" of the .38. The trigger would take some work but the kick is what did her in. That's why I thought maybe the 380 revolver would be a better fit.. Pending your guys opinion and reviews.

Agreed. My S&W Bodyguard 38 has been retired to the safe because of that and because the cylinder printed so much in my pocket.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Agreed. My S&W Bodyguard 38 has been retired to the safe because of that and because the cylinder printed so much in my pocket.

I carried the 642 in my pocket. Mainly to church. But I don't wear baggy pants so it printed. $220 isn't bad at all! I hadn't priced on yet but I am happy to hear that's the price range!

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    My GF carries a Taurus .380 revolver everyday. She loves it. Very concealable, she carries it in a flashbang holster 95% of the time.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've never shot an airweight .38, so I don't have a lot of feedback to compare to. I pocket carry a P3AT all the time, though I'm guessing your GF would not appreciate that kick either.

Two recommendations I would make outside of the Taurus:

1) Kel-Tec P32 - I know a 32acp isn't ideal, but it could do the trick in a pinch with FMJ bullets. I've shot one a lot and the recoil should be manageable for her.

2) Bersa Thunder .380 CC - these are fairly reliable pistols with all metal frames. Recoil should be manageable and she will have more rounds than the Taurus .380 revolver. The first double-action shot is heavy but the rest would be single action, which she would appreciate.

MVC-789F.jpg

Both can be safely carried with the first round DA. Just point and shoot, much like a revolver.

It is great that she is looking to protect herself. Best of luck in the search and let us know what ends up working!

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I've never shot an airweight .38, so I don't have a lot of feedback to compare to. I pocket carry a P3AT all the time, though I'm guessing your GF would not appreciate that kick either.

Two recommendations I would make outside of the Taurus:

1) Kel-Tec P32 - I know a 32acp isn't ideal, but it could do the trick in a pinch with FMJ bullets. I've shot one a lot and the recoil should be manageable for her.

2) Bersa Thunder .380 CC - these are fairly reliable pistols with all metal frames. Recoil should be manageable and she will have more rounds than the Taurus .380 revolver. The first double-action shot is heavy but the rest would be single action, which she would appreciate.

MVC-789F.jpg

Both can be safely carried with the first round DA. Just point and shoot, much like a revolver.

It is great that she is looking to protect herself. Best of luck in the search and let us know what ends up working!

I am hoping the search ends soon but I'm not going to rush her. We are going to shoot this weekend so maybe that will help. I appreciate the feedback! I will post on here if / when she makes up her mind.

She seems to love my Glock 19 but we all know she would never end up carrying that lol

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Just a suggestion, but if you already have a 642, why not try the lighter weight 38 special loads? Honady and Federal make a 38 Special light, just for this situation. The 380 isnt going to kick any less in a similar sized platform, shooting a similar sized bullet at similar velocities as a light 38 Special load.

While I think the 380 is a good idea for the platform, there are a few things that bother me in its use in a SD situation. First, how well does the ejector work? A rimless cartridge in a revolver, while possible, would make extraction a bit less positive(I would think). Second, how would a speedloader work with this setup?

It addresses a very common concern with the light weight snub nose carry piece, but simply finding the right load for her would be a more simple solution. Another benefit of sticking with the Smith, Taurus triggers, in my experience, are not as light or smooth as a smith, and not as easy to work to get better. If the trigger is already an issue for her, going to a harder trigger would probably only further complicate things.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I wouldn't let anyone I cared about carry a Kel-Tec. There are many higher quality .32ACP pistols to be had in the same price range that come finished and ready to use unlike the KT which requires a fair bit of buffing and filing to make reliable enough to trust. Beretta make a nice one, the 3032 Tomcat which I have carried a time or two when a larger gun was too much for the clothing. It alsp has a much nicer trigger out of the box than the KT.

I am with the LCR in .22 person though if it is to be a revolver. Many folks disregard the .22 LR as a defensive round but it is a pretty mean round in fact. It bounces around in side a person, ricochets off of bones and sends all sorts of harm throughout a person as it does so. The LAC also gives you 8 rounds before a reload which tends to surprise folks expecting 5-6 rounds out of a revolver.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I wouldn't let anyone I cared about carry a Kel-Tec. There are many higher quality .32ACP pistols to be had in the same price range that come finished and ready to use unlike the KT which requires a fair bit of buffing and filing to make reliable enough to trust. Beretta make a nice one, the 3032 Tomcat which I have carried a time or two when a larger gun was too much for the clothing. It alsp has a much nicer trigger out of the box than the KT.

I am with the LCR in .22 person though if it is to be a revolver. Many folks disregard the .22 LR as a defensive round but it is a pretty mean round in fact. It bounces around in side a person, ricochets off of bones and sends all sorts of harm throughout a person as it does so. The LAC also gives you 8 rounds before a reload which tends to surprise folks expecting 5-6 rounds out of a revolver.

If the Beretta Tomcat is the gun I am thinking about, then I would not trust that gun with my life either. To my knowledge, those pistols do not have an extractor. Any sort of misfire where the round does not eject would be a pain in the ass to have to manually extract that cartridge with a knife or finger. I've had a lot of experience with a Beretta 950 .22 and have seen this happen too often to feel comfortable carrying it as a BUG. YMMV, but I'd personally put more faith in my old P32 than a 3032 Tomcat.

For what it is worth, the P32 I had worked great. I did have one issue and the gun was sent back to Keltec. They replaced the entire slide assembly for free and their CS was top notch. It had no issues after the many rounds put through it after that.

I think 45fan raises some good points with lighter 38 loads and also with various cons of a .380 revolver. At any rate, there is a lot of good advice being offered in this thread. Best of luck to the OP in finding an option for your girlfriend.

Top Bottom