• dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    I can purchase the Taurus PT 709 Slim for $349. I can also get a
    Ruger LC9 for $379. I have read more reviews than I want to, and
    have held both pistols. Gun shop guy told me he leans toward the
    Ruger, but I might like the trigger on the Taurus.
    I trust the opinions on this forum. Anyone have real world experience
    with these pistols?
    Just had a bad experience with another make of pistol, and had to
    send it in twice for repair. Don't really want to go throgh that again.
    Thanks

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    with these pistols?
    Thanks

Love my Ruger LC9. Is it $379 with the Lasermax laser? PSS has them for $339 without I believe.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I've not shot the Ruger but I did shoot the Taurus... I wrote about my experience, which you can probably find.

Anyway... yes trigger was pretty nice, but we had a few light strikes in our box of 50. All off them went bang when we ran them through a second time (it wasn't the primer). Accuracy was good, but with the sights ALL the way up it was still 2" low at 7 yards.

I would always lean toward a Ruger. #1 reason being, if you read all the gun forums you will find a vast difference in reported customer service if your gun has a problem.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    I would go with Ruger. I have personally never fired one, recently taking an interest into their subcompacts however. LC9 and LCP that is.

As far as Taurus, the only one major malfunction I've had in a firearm was in a Taurus. The firing pin blew out the back of the gun and was not stopped by the hammer, hitting my best friend in the chest. Not something I would trust (poor quality control, you can read that almost anywhere). Not saying all Taurus is bad, not saying they're bad at all even because their customer service was spot on in speed & efficiency in replacing my part.

I'm not sure. Just not going to be relying on a Taurus as a primary or even CCW for a long time, it would need a minimum 3000 successful / no major failures to be deemed reliable to me. Usually I trust a gun after about 500ish, maybe I'm dumb though =D

EDIT: As I always do I would absolutely recommend a Kahr. Wether it be a CW series 9, 40 or 45 or the CM9 (CM9 is essentially a PM9, what I have in my avatar pic)

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have a 709 and put a Crimson Trace on it. Shoots nicely. Don't have lots of rounds through it so far, but it's gone bang every time and the holes are pretty close to where I want them ;) Couple of things I find desirable in a firearm.

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    I have the 709 and love it. It is very accurate. I did just have to send it back for a fte problem. Taurus had it for less than 2 weeks and replaced the barrel and extractor. I have not yet tested it since getting it back. As some of the others, I have not shot the LC9.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I bought my 709 from an INGOer, sent it back for free repairs under warranty (at no cost to me) and it is now my summer EDC. I recently carried it as my back-up gun. Conceals great, very comfortable cross-draw carry. It shoots accurately and fires every time I pull the trigger. I like the Glock-style trigger safety. The manual safety is a plus in my opinion. I also appreciate the second-strike capability.

I have not fired the LC9, but I did use the LCP .380 extensively. I concluded that I prefer the Taurus trigger over the Ruger.

BTW, you should be able to pick a 709 for $300, used of course.

Last edited:

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I have a PT-709 that I rotate with a PT-145 as my daily carry gun. It has several thousand rounds through it with no issues to speak of. For a small gun, it's easy and not too punishing to shoot - allows a lot of practice without the normal pain associated with small guns. Can't speak about the Ruger, but I wouldn't trade my 709 for one.

Ahgo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    New Haven, Indiana
    I have the LC9. Got it a Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka for $319. Shot it the very next day and it was awesome. I hit everything from 5 yards. Hit most everything from 10 yards. Was about 50-50 at 15 yards. By the way, we were shooting metal targets. I love the gun.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    with these pistols?
    Thanks

Thanks everyone for your input. I am still undecided, but I am leaning
    toward the Ruger. One thing for sure, I am going to have to do a better
    job of checking prices.
    My prices are Ohio prices. The Ruger price did not have a laser.
    I must live in the wrong state.
    Thanks again.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I don't own either of them, but have shot both. I liked them both. The only thing that was weird for me on the Taurus were the straight 8 sights. All of my handguns have a 3 dot sight and it took me a little while to get used to the straight 8s. But if that is what you own and practice with then it wouldn't be an issue.

Both seemed pretty well built and were decent shooters. I don't really know which I would say I prefer over the other so I guess I am not much help, but I would say from my experience either of them should serve you well.

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    Don't know if you have purchased yet or not, but I have carried my Taurus stainless "slim" for over a year now and have about 1500 rounds through it.

Never a problem....always goes bang :ar15:

I also have the Crimson Trace laser and like it alot !!!

Gun handles well and is easy to conceal. (OC most of the time :))

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I own and LC9 and love to shoot it. Eats all different types of ammo without complaint. I'm pretty sure the Taurus Slim is a good gun also.

On the LC9, some folks have said they thought the trigger pull was excessively long but I don't feel like it is to me. Pretty much like a DA revolver. It does take a little getting used to but it also adds a little safety factor when carrying it with the safety off. It is shooting really well for me as is. I am not in love with the external safety or the magazine safety but don't mind the loaded chamber indicator. Saves racking the slide all the time to check. I highly recommend the LC9.

jontz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    I could spit into Michigan
    I own a 709 slim and it has been a good firearm all around. I have had no problems with it so far and it isn't picky about ammo. I'm not a big fan of the Glock style trigger, but this gun is my wife's carry and she liked the overall feel of it better than anything else we looked at. Mine shoots low as well thoug, about 3" at 7 yards with the back sight adjusted as far as it will go. I've debated about getting different sights for it, but I think I am just going to put a Crimson Trace on it and call it a day.

Plisken

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Under the radar
    Im looking at the same two guns and awaiting to look at the bersa bp9cc when it is availible. both the ruger and taururs felt good in my hand. But i seemed to like the taurus a little better.

Top Bottom