• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tab

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2011
    hello,
    Anyone has experience with Taurus 9mm Slimline. I am contemplating buying one soon.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    i have shot one and i didn't like the trigger it was all mushy and yuck!! i currently own a pt145 mil pro and it has a decent trigger but not the best and the 709 is plain garbage!! shoot one before you buy it.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Never had a problem with any of my 3 Taurus firearms. My buddy hasn't had issues with his, and my father has never had issues with his.

The Taurus of old had reliability problems, but the new and improved Taurus is much better; in addition, the no-questions-asked warranty on ANY Taurus firearm is never a bad thing.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    My PT-709 has well over a thousand rounds of all types of FMJ and JHP through it with absolutely no significant issues. It was my daily carry until I got my PT-145. This one has hundreds of rounds through it without issue. I also have a PT-1911 that has hundreds of rounds through it without issue. I cannot be that lucky. Ignore the Taurus-haters - most of them have never owned one.

If you're going to shoot 1000 rounds a month, every month, invest a bit more and get a top shelf gun. If you're just looking for a good value shooter, and will put an 'average' amount of lead downrange, Taurus will fill the bill.

As for detail on the 709, it's relatively comfortable to shoot (considering it IS a small, short barrel gun) - won't beat you up at the range, allowing more practice. I like the second strike trigger and the manual safety. On the down side, you need to keep it clean - not an issue for me as I clean everything every time I shoot it. Some folks who had the early S/N's had extraction problems, but I think this issue has been corrected with a revised extractor. There is a GEN 2, but I have not seen one yet. Looks very similar to the GEN 1, but I would assume that they've worked out any bugs from the early offerings. Some have also had difficulty with the 709 shooting low & left. I'm not sure how much of this is the gun and how much is the shooter - small guns are just harder to shoot accurately. I've never had an issue with mine - it's always been POI = POA.

Go here and read to your hearts content about the 'slim': The 700's

Last edited:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Say no to Taurus......

No personal experience but heard of feed issues.
    ^^
    FTFY

Google it.

You see it's bull :poop: like this I just can't stand.

How about getting some "REAL" first hand experience then making a truthful opinion about it.

I get so tired of the I heard it from my sisters boyfriends, who's 3rd cousin six times removed butcher heard it from his buddy who knows this traveling salesman that talked to a 3 year old kid that heard it from his teddy bear that the postman got that really reliable info from the 90 year old librarian who was told that Taurus's was :poop: because she read it on the internet.

Now that I've said my piece.....

The 709 did have some extractor issues when it first came out, Taurus quickly fixed that as verified by members on here who purchased the early released models.

I've had my 709 for about 7 months with nary a issue and plan to promote it to my occasional CC firearm for this summer when it's a little more harder to conceal the PT-809. Hopefully I'll find a suitable holster that's not too tight because every one I've looked at was so tight it made the slide move when inserting it. I guess I'll just have to pony up some money to Cowboy Leather when the next 1500 comes around.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    For the most part, I liked my 709 slim when I had one. It shot 115gr low, though I'm not entirely sure if that was the gun or not. I primarily shot 147gr FMJ for target (any brand shot well) and Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP when I carried.

Why I got rid of it? In spite of the single-stack design, it didn't seem (to me) that it saved a great deal in size compared to other options. There aren't a lot of after-market options as well (at least, when I had it) in the way of night sights, holsters (made specifically for the pistol), etc. As it was, I ended up using holsters for the Glock G26/27, which worked okay.

It seemed, over time, I found myself looking for Glock options to fit my Taurus pistol and, thinking about it, I wondered to myself why I didn't just get a Glock in the first place. So, I did; I purchased a G27 (different caliber as well, so it wasn't just the fact that I was unhappy with the "Taurus," per se) and became Taurusless soon after.

All that not to pursued you away from your choice, just my experience and rationale behind my choices. YMMV.

I would recommend you find one and put a few dozen rounds down range if at all possible. To be fair, it would be a good idea with any firearm you're considering. Happy hunting ...let us know what you end up with!

grassman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    N CENTRAL IN
    I've got four taurus handguns no problems with any of them. My 709 slim is a great little gun no feed or extract problems even when I run steal case through it. Like other posters said it is hard finding a holster to fit it.
    I'm still working on that.

johncarbaugh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Logansport
    The one I have shot had the trigger break way to far back for me. Also had ejector troubles multiple times. would not pull the case out of the chamber and would try to feed new round in. This would also keep you from pulling the mag out because the new round was not all the way out of the mag and jammed up against the spent round. About 1 in 50 failure with multiple people behind the trigger and different brands of ammo. Lock the slide open and case would fall out so it was not from expansion or anything. I did some research and others have had the same problem. A trip back to Taurus fixed the problem for others.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    There are several threads on here about the early 709 extraction problem. I bought a 709 from an INGO member who did not reveal thepronlem to me. I posted a thread with full AAR detailing FTE problem.

I also posted thread about the excellent Taurus customer service and repair. I then posted a full AAR on the subsequent trips to the range.

My 709 Slim now works perfectly with any ammo I feed it. It has the GLOCK style trigger safety and double hit trigger. I like that it works like my G26. I like the trigger.

I use High Noon IWB holster. Works great.

Nothing wrong with this weapon. Some mag not like the size or trigger but that is personal preference only. It is a good reliable weapon. Good as a Glock for 60% of the cost.

My winter carry is a G26. T 709 is my summer carry.

Last edited:

Tab

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2011
    I bought one today and as soon as I shoot it I will post an objective opinion.

mdst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    never shot a PT709,, but I have the 740 slim, same dims in .40 cal. never a problem over 500 rds my edc for 4 montns, also NRA calls it handgun of the year if that means anything , besides advertising in american rifleman
    2011 Golden Bullseye Award Winners,,

dead2rights

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Never had a problem with any of my 3 Taurus firearms. My buddy hasn't had issues with his, and my father has never had issues with his.

The Taurus of old had reliability problems, but the new and improved Taurus is much better; in addition, the no-questions-asked warranty on ANY Taurus firearm is never a bad thing.

Hey Eagle, how old is a Taurus of old? I got my first Taurus 9mm in the late 90's but I always thought of them as solid guns from that point on. Besides the reliability it felt good in my hand after a day at the range. :ingo:

Top Bottom