• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Looking for a compact .40 or .45 for day to day carry. Have heard some nice things about the manufacturer and these guns, particularly the prices. I would really appreciate your opinions on these 2 models and calibers. :dunno: Most of my experience has been with wheelguns. Thanks in advance.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I have heard a lot of ups and downs. I own a PT145 that I have had for about 8 months now. I love it. I have carried it religiously since I bought it. Great capacity for a .45 in a small frame. No Failures or problems at all. I was sold on it becuase of price, lifetime warranty, and manual safety. I don't know too much about the 24/7 but I do know that they come factory with 3 dot sights which I would rather have than the Heine straight 8 sights. I love mine though. I carry it in a don hume IWB holster, very comfortable. Another plus is my Glock 22 fits in the same IWB holster. Not a bad choice for a carry piece

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I have the millenium Pro and it has the straight eight not the three dots. 1st and 2nd generations have the three dot and the current 3rd generation has the straight 8s. If that makes a difference

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    I can't remember the exact model, but my friend has one of those models in .40 and we had all sorts of trouble trying to shoot it. It didn't like to feed hollowpoints very well and would eff up every couple of shots. I can't reccomend one, I didn't like it at all.

drnorris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had a 1st generation Millinium in 9mm. I liked the size and the format but the trigger was terrible. Others had some more serious problems. I did not. It fed anything I put in it. I sold it because of the trigger.
    The 2nd generation was better but still not great.
    I have a 3rd generation now. It is one of my 2 carry pieces. The DA/SA trigger is great, it feeds everything, and it conceals well. My only objection is the field stripping but I am spoiled with my Browning High Power.
    Don

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Taurus has always given great value for the money, I have owned several over the years and they have all fit and fuctioned well, as was noted the early models had a long triger pull but the newer ones are much better. Good luck with your qwest.

crawfish

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    south indy
    I have a pt-145 millennium had a great review when I bought it 5 yrs ago. I have only put 500 rounds threw it and my only problem with it is trigger pull and it doesn't have decocker but it shoots nice and has done well so far.

Kveldulf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Tippecanoe County
    I just bought the PT740 slim from someone here in the forum, and it's pretty nice to shoot. It's really light, but the recoil isn't bad. It fed all the ammunition, including hollowpoints, just fine. I don't really like the trigger on it; you pull back and don't feel any resistance for the first 95% of the pull, and then BANG!

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Taurus also releasing the 800 series in a compact size in 9mm and .40 cal.

I have full size models of the 809 and 845 and both are great firearms to shoot. I have not handled the compacts but they should be as great as the full size.

BTW, these are hammer fired, not striker fired handguns.

D.R.SCOTT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I have a Taurus PT 1911 in .45 ACP and it has never done me any wrong. Alot of time, certain guns only get along with certain ammo/types. I would reccomend going to a range that lets you rent them and get 3 boxes of differnt types of ammo and go trough your line up, marking what you think about each one on paper and then going trough in the end. I recently got a XD sub compact in .40S&W for CC in the summer months. Needless to say, I trust both with my life.

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    I have heard a lot of ups and downs. I own a PT145 that I have had for about 8 months now. I love it. I have carried it religiously since I bought it. Great capacity for a .45 in a small frame. No Failures or problems at all. I was sold on it becuase of price, lifetime warranty, and manual safety. I don't know too much about the 24/7 but I do know that they come factory with 3 dot sights which I would rather have than the Heine straight 8 sights. I love mine though. I carry it in a don hume IWB holster, very comfortable. Another plus is my Glock 22 fits in the same IWB holster. Not a bad choice for a carry piece

I have the PT24/7 in the 9mm format. I'm going to write a full review on it this week. The handgun is incredible for the price. Have shot 300+ rounds through it at 20 and 30 feet and the damn thing hits the sight picture everytime. I carry it in a shoulder holster and it's very comfortable. Easy conceal for a full frame handgun.

hot rod al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have owned a PT145 Millenium Pro and still own a PT1911. The PT145 I had functioned flawlessly and ate all types of ammo I fed throught it. The only down side to that gun was the super long trigger pull. The PT1911 which is my daily carry also is a damn good gun but is picky with certain types of hollowpoints. The only thing I dont care for on the PT1911 is the straight 8 sights. I'd rather have the Novaks that come on the newer ones.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    PT-145 is my daily carry at the moment. Several hundred rounds through it with no issues. 10+1 in an easily concealed package. I like the manual safety and the 'second-strike' trigger. Shoots like a dream - all be it a SMALL dream. Not exactly a range gun, but it's comfortable enough to allow a box or two of practice without any wrist problems.

I'm not super excited about the Heinie sights, but you get used to them after a while. I may change them to a set of 3-dots just to have a consistent sight picture for all my carry guns.

I've got three Taurus handguns - all have been 100% since I took them out of the box. Clean it WELL before you use it and chances are you'll have no problems.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I have pocket carried a PT 745, every day, for almost 2 years, it conceals well, is lightweight, and I have complete trust in it. Yes, the trigger takes a little getting used to, but a few thousand rounds at the range will solve that. I have fired a wide variety of rounds through it, without a single issue. I chose the 745 because of the single stack mag, and have never had a moment of doubt about it being my EDC.:twocents:

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I've got a PT-709 and a GEN3 PT-145. Both are 100% reliable and I rotate carrying them every day.

Whoops! I see I already posted this! Sorry for the double-tap.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I have experience with both the pt140 and pt145 millenium series firearms. Both were nice shooters, and can be bought at a fair price. They are great carry guns, easy to conceal in a uncle mikes, don humme,etc.

Top Bottom