• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I would not buy a Taurus semi-auto for serious purposes. I would be hesitant to buy a Taurus revolver for serious purposes.

For serious purpose guns, I want:
    1) Proven track record out of the box. I get every machine can, and does, break. But not all at equal rates.
    2) Easy and cheap logisitics. Can I readily get magazines, spare recoil assemblies and other wear parts, holsters suitable for the intended purpose, etc.
    3) Ergonomics that don't suck. If there's a control (safety, decocker, slide release, etc), is it large enough, placed in an intuitive position, and having positive engagement in both positions? Is the texture such that it gives a good purchase but doesn't cheese grate my hands or clothing? That sort of thing.
    4) A cost and availability that I can readily have an exact duplicate for training and can pick up another copy with little to no notice.

For plinking or playing or just having, whatever strokes your goat/bull/screaming chicken thingy.
    Things have changed a great deal at Taurus recently. For almost the entirety of my shooting life, which isn't nearly as long as time, the above has been the conventional wisdom when it comes to Taurus - generally speaking.

Some of the long-standing exceptions have been their Beretta clones and their big frame hunting revolvers. Small step down is their 85-series analog to the J-Frame.

But in the last few years....Especially starting with their G3 guns and now, more importantly, their G4 series guns...and their newer revolvers - things are different. The G4 is a serious contender in the small double stack 9mm CCW world.

If they can take an admitted hater of All Things Taurus like Caleb Giddings and make HIM a believer (granted, he's now an employee) - they've got to be on to something.

Probably still a higher incidence of bad QA/QC though based on volume... Which is why we should vet the guns we intend for serious use.

Will I buy one? Probably not, but I'm not in the market for what they sell right now. Would I take a G4? Absolutely.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Things have changed a great deal at Taurus recently. For almost the entirety of my shooting life, which isn't nearly as long as time, the above has been the conventional wisdom when it comes to Taurus - generally speaking.

Maybe they've addressed #1. Maybe.
    #3 varies, but is generally acceptable.
    #4 has always been in their wheel house.

#2 stands. Other than price, what do I gain by giving that up to buy a Taurus? And why do I want to for a serious use gun? (Distinction with hobby gun already made)

*edit* The TX22, for example, great hobby gun. But nothing other than some plinking fun is on the line.

Last edited:

bowhunter911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2024
    La Crosse Indiana
    Been looking at PT-92's, newest variation. Has big T improved any in quality recently? Had some bad ones in the past but the new ones look sharp.
    i have had to deal with taurus customer service a few times and was not pleased with them. i had a pt-92, and one of their .45 1911's. both are gone now. the one i still like ok is the .44mag 5 shot, but i dont care much for the locking thingamajiggy on it.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Are they newer? I havent bought or shot a new taurus in say 5 years. Just curious if the quality has improved.
    Firsthand: about 20 years old - Taurus 357 revolver. Never had any problem with it; still very accurate and fun to shoot. The rest is anecdotal from a couple of acquaintances who've had Taurus revolvers and semi-automatics and reported no issues.

airstreamnut

NRA Benefactor Member-Life
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2024
    Valley Park
    My first thing to say is to agree with many others on this thread. I own 3 PT99's of radically different ages and all have been stellar performers. I have a couple of newer PT-111 G2's that I don't have near the experience with, but they have been perfect so far with 300-400 rounds downrange in CCW classes I've taught.

Top Bottom