Tax and 4473 forms needed to purchase used shotgun??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Stopped by a local gun shop today and bought a well used, pre-68 20 ga. pump shotgun. I needed to fill out a 4473 form and had to pay Indiana tax...

Are both of these typical?? For a used long gun??? :dunno:

I wasn't sure and the FFL wasn't completely sure either. (for the tax stuff)

Just looking for clarification for both more than anything I guess.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011

I used to own a small business and I never charged sales tax on any used items sold, because the tax for that item was already paid when it was originally purchased as new. Are guns different?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Taxes on used stuff even?

I used to own a small business and I never charged sales tax on any used items sold, because the tax for that item was already paid when it was originally purchased as new. Are guns different?

Pretty sure you have to charge sales tax on EVERYTHING you SELL

bcsd372

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Columbus
    No different from paying sales tax on a used vehicle bought from a dealer. If you have a trade-in you pay sales tax only on the difference.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    No different from paying sales tax on a used vehicle bought from a dealer. If you have a trade-in you pay sales tax only on the difference.

This is the answer... and as others have stated all retail gun sales (used or new) through an FFL require a 4473.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Indiana has kind of a goofy auto tax system that hits you multiple times. I had forgotten how expensive car ownership here was. You pay sales tax on your purchase price (or the money added when you trade one in on a better one). THEN you pay an "excise" tax every year on a sliding scale. In addition you pay a tax (fee) for your plate and registration every year. They really hit the purchasers of new higher end cars pretty hard in this state. I have lived in several other states that had high sales tax, but no excise. Now that Indiana's sales tax is up there with the more expensive states, you would think they could let go of that yearly excise kicker.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    yes you have to charge tax on a used item. the reason being is he probably traded a new item for it and didn't collect as much tax on the new item since the shotgun earned the customer a dicount. it sucks but it is what it is. rememeber your local shop did not charge tax, they collected it gor the state

REM299

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 4, 2010
    Indiana has kind of a goofy auto tax system that hits you multiple times. I had forgotten how expensive car ownership here was. You pay sales tax on your purchase price (or the money added when you trade one in on a better one). THEN you pay an "excise" tax every year on a sliding scale. In addition you pay a tax (fee) for your plate and registration every year. They really hit the purchasers of new higher end cars pretty hard in this state. I have lived in several other states that had high sales tax, but no excise. Now that Indiana's sales tax is up there with the more expensive states, you would think they could let go of that yearly excise kicker.

Plus many county governments kick on an additional wheel tax. Tax on tax is even worse.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

Plus many county governments kick on an additional wheel tax. Tax on tax is even worse.

For all the good things about Indiana, the effective tax rate on citizens here is overall quite high. Partly due to all the vehicle-related taxes & fees.

-J-

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    "Screw the state. Drive an old beater.:rockwoot:"

Patience0803 does have a point, I have never had an old enough car, but I think the excise tax goes away of the car is old enough

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    It gets pretty cheap to license a car after so many years, $30-35/year. I have had several that got old enough they were cheaper than my 5x10 trailer. Just got rid of one, and the 94 Thunderchicken is about there, if I recall.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom