• VidGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Muncie
    You guys get refunds?

Lucky. I always owe a grand or 2.

You'd think I was part of the 1%... but not even close.

LFD102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Brownsburg
    have a kid in collage is the only reason I am otherwise I was hosed.
    I have to agree with every one I'm tired of being a responsible person busting my ass so others don't have and they can have part of what i work hard to get
    ok off the soap box

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    have a kid in collage is the only reason I am otherwise I was hosed.
    I have to agree with every one I'm tired of being a responsible person busting my ass so others don't have and they can have part of what i work hard to get

Just wait till we get national healthcare. There are a lot of folks who have made average wages for two or three decades. Those who have been true savers are likely sitting on good sums of money (easily $200K, if not more). Healthcare is one of the main reasons these folks don't retire, and as soon as they get that taken care of with national healthcare, watch for massive changes. People will immediately quit their jobs they are tired of, or in some cases truly hate, and take jobs that pay 1/2 or even less of what they were making before, because it is something they love and they get healthcare as well. You will see people leaving good paying jobs to work at resorts, start their own tourist tour type jobs, leave for places they have always wanted to live and work part-time for spending money.

The question will be, will there be enough qualified people to fill the jobs these folks leave behind. And, once the healthcare issue is taken care of, will you see full-time working moms opt to take part-time Walmart cashier jobs to have more time with the kids? And, if enough full-time working parents opt to take part-time retail jobs, what happens to all the "working poor" who don't have the education to get the full-time jobs left behind?

I myself could retire in about 20 years, getting a small pension of roughly $20K/year (give or take). Who knows of SS will be around. Since we are a DINK couple, I could easily have $300K cash saved by then (baring anything serious), another $50K in an annuity that is part of my retirement (if not more). Most co-workers can't leave at 55-60 because of healthcare, so they are stuck working till they are 62 and can get on the supplemental insurance plan that covers them till Medicare kicks in. However, you start dolling out national healthcare, and that really is a game changer for many. And again, will there be enough folks to take those jobs left, and if not, then you end up losing the tax base that you were relying upon to fund national healthcare. So long as wife's vested in her pension, we could do whatever we wanted. It won't make sense to work hard and make good money, as national healthcare would likely cost us more than my current plan (for now). Better to work at run bar codes over lasers and let all the other suckers bust their humps.

Top Bottom