• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2001FZ1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Indy
    I have the opportunity to buy a couple shotguns from a friend at good price. I would like to get into deer hunting and don't have a shotgun right now. These are two he has:
    1. Mossberg 12 gauge, 28" barrel and it says modified choke and 3" on the side. Its in decent shape. Can I shoot slugs out of modified choke or can it be removed?
    2. Windchester Ranger 120 12 gauge. Say 'full' and 2 3/4 - 3 on the side of the barrel. This one has hardly ever been used, very nice condition. However, pretty sure I can't shoot slugs with a full choke. Removable or buy new barrel? Price range for barrel?

Thanks!

Badmac 183

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    You can shoot slugs through either one, but most people will tell you not to shoot a slugs out of a full choke because after time it ruins it.

Indyhandgunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    I have the opportunity to buy a couple shotguns from a friend at good price. I would like to get into deer hunting and don't have a shotgun right now. These are two he has:
    1. Mossberg 12 gauge, 28" barrel and it says modified choke and 3" on the side. Its in decent shape. Can I shoot slugs out of modified choke or can it be removed?
    2. Windchester Ranger 120 12 gauge. Say 'full' and 2 3/4 - 3 on the side of the barrel. This one has hardly ever been used, very nice condition. However, pretty sure I can't shoot slugs with a full choke. Removable or buy new barrel? Price range for barrel?

Thanks!

Generally you want to stick with a improved cylinder choke for slugs, but modified would be ok (I would be hesitant though). Full I would advise against. You can get barrels with removable chokes fairly cheap for a mossberg and if you're getting the gun for a deal then a 20 inch deer barrel wouldn't be a bad idea.

dsb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    I got a winchester ranger model 120 i have had it for nearly 30years its a great gun. I have a smooth bore slug barrel for it and it shoots remington rifled slugs great.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    The only slugs I have seen that the manufacture states are not safe in a full choke, or choke at all, are Brenekke Crush slugs. I'm pretty sure almost all slugs are fine in a modified choke.

2001FZ1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Indy
    I got a winchester ranger model 120 i have had it for nearly 30years its a great gun. I have a smooth bore slug barrel for it and it shoots remington rifled slugs great.

Where can I find a different barrel and how much? I like the Winchester mainly cause it is so clean.

twfshelton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    The woods of green
    most barrels run from 100 and up, do some research first, the great deal may not be so great once you consider what you need to get to do what you want to do. Also consider future wants......the mossberg and 870 remingtons are the mustang, camaros of the shotgun world. Everyone that makes acc, makes them for the 500 and 870. So let's say a new 870 cost you 400 now, you can find stuff that makes it a home defender when not hunting, you can get barrels fairly cheap for different types of hunting....deer, birds, plastic flying discs, people.

kirch86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    fyi, when searching for parts for the Winchester 120 you will want to look up parts for a winchester 1300.

dsb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Where can I find a different barrel and how much? I like the Winchester mainly cause it is so clean.

I would check gunbroker.com, gunsamerica.com or just goggle it. Barrels can get expensive, by the time you buy the gun and a new barrel you could probably go buy a new slug gun or 44 mag single shot rifle.

I dont know much about this part but its just a thought.....might check with a gunsmith, maybe they could cut it down and install screw in chokes.

Top Bottom