Technical questions on suppressor versus extended tube.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Ok, so I get the basics on how a supressor works and the whole baffle s thing, but having shot some and seen/heard some being shot at the range it always seems like the manufacturers of suppressors are so focused on light and small that they don't worry as much about getting the sound down as much as they could.

I'm sure most of the people here are familiar with what the "AR-15 Golf Ball Launcher" is and how it screws on and has to be used with a blank round. If something along this line was used at the range to slowly release the sound & blast instead of trying to use baffles to forcibly contain the sound would you get something close to the same effect? Would the same effect be gained through using one of the 5 or 6 inch extended flash hiders that are meant to be pinned to short barrels?

I'm not a suppressor guy and honestly the ones I've seen shot around me haven't really reduced the noise enough to make me think it's worth getting into, but the reduced recoil on big guns seems like it'd be worth while. I know it's a dumb question to ask, and maybe shooting a live round through the golf ball launcher wouldn't give the desired effect, but it seems like the idea of not trying to fight the sound and blast would be a better way to go rather than trying to forcibly contain it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    but it seems like the idea of not trying to fight the sound and blast would be a better way to go rather than trying to forcibly contain it.

It's this 'containment' that lowers the sound level (suppresses) of a fired gunshot to the ear. 'Not fighting it' means that it will be as loud as it can possibly be.

The most 'impressive' suppressors are those for .22s. You'll notice a considerable difference, especially when using sub-sonic rounds.

beeeman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Ok, so I get the basics on how a supressor works and the whole baffle s thing, but having shot some and seen/heard some being shot at the range it always seems like the manufacturers of suppressors are so focused on light and small that they don't worry as much about getting the sound down as much as they could.

I'm sure most of the people here are familiar with what the "AR-15 Golf Ball Launcher" is and how it screws on and has to be used with a blank round. If something along this line was used at the range to slowly release the sound & blast instead of trying to use baffles to forcibly contain the sound would you get something close to the same effect? Would the same effect be gained through using one of the 5 or 6 inch extended flash hiders that are meant to be pinned to short barrels?

I'm not a suppressor guy and honestly the ones I've seen shot around me haven't really reduced the noise enough to make me think it's worth getting into, but the reduced recoil on big guns seems like it'd be worth while. I know it's a dumb question to ask, and maybe shooting a live round through the golf ball launcher wouldn't give the desired effect, but it seems like the idea of not trying to fight the sound and blast would be a better way to go rather than trying to forcibly contain it.

What you are describing is a linear compensator, like the Flaming Pig or this:
    KIES Blast Master Linear Compensator
    or this:
    http://www.tacticalgear.be/proshop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=542
    It makes it sound quieter to the shooter, because the blast is directed down range.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Any item attached to the end of a barrel that reduces the sound signature is legally a suppressor so no matter what you still have to pay the tax-stamp.

On to the matter of efficiency, the manufacturers are trying to balance weight, size, price, & sound reduction. I can make a suppressor that makes a bullet whisper quiet, so quite you can't even hear the firearm at all. But that suppressor might be the size of a semi-truck. OTOH, I can make a suppressor that is super, super light and small, but it's going to be loud. The manufacturers balance these 2 opposite ends of the spectrum by offering what we see today. The baffles in the suppressors allow the manufacturer to keep weight and size very low but still attain a reasonable level of suppression. Today's suppressor manufacturers dump tons of money into R&D to get as efficient as possible in a certain size/weight range. If you want more suppression you're going to have to give up the size/weight and go with a larger one. If you can't find what you want commercially you will have to make your own. Just be warned though, the benefit (suppression) vs cost (weight/size) won't be as good the further you go... diminishing returns and all.

Top Bottom