• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Personally like the Dyno-Glo kerosene heaters. Yes, kero is rather pricey, but I can go ~6 hrs on a gallon with my 125k btu unit.

Already owned 1 unit and have picked up a 2nd unit at garage sale for $25 (it was used twice by previous owner). Also picked up a Mr. Heater Buddy for $20. Now have lots of heat capability for garage and house if power goes out.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'd combine the dyno glo with a desktop fan to move the heat around. That might help rather than relying on convection to distribute the heat. You dont need to move enough air around to cool the shop, just enough to stir the air and distribute the heat. And maybe add a cheap ceiling fan to keep all the heat from collecting near the ceiling. (If you have exposed rafters and can see the underside of the roof, this is probably a lost cause. You will lose too much heat into the "attic".)

And dont worry about exploding dust. You'd have to get a pretty exact and heavy concentration for it to go boom... as in bad enough you'd have to be wearing a dust mask or you'd be choking on the dust.

Last edited:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I have a gas furnace in my 20' X 20' garage, but since I keep my kerosene heaters always on the ready, I often use one of them to keep the garage heated over a week-end.

One kerosene heater will keep my garage warm very nicely. One bonus about getting one as temporary heat for your garage is that you will have it as a back-up heat source after that.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I've got a detached garage / shop with 2 rooms separated by an 8 lite door. The main room is about 16" X 22' and I have a 42" Voglezang Boxwood stove in it. I use it partially as a wood shop and make quite a bit of sawdust at times. I do use a shop vac dust collection system but it is not that efficient. The stove is ducted to the outside through a sidewall with just single wall black stove pipe. The 8' ceiling is insulated in this room but the side walls are only partially insulated. There is a rectangular 16" x 24" vent on the wall opposite the stove for fresh air intake. There is a ceiling fan centrally located and I also use a box fan to basically blow the heat from the stove away from my desk located on the wall opposite the stove. I have been heating it like this for about 26 years now and have not had any problems other than at times it gets to hot and I have to open the door to cool it off. I burn a lot of scrap wood from projects and also have a couple acres of woods to harvest from. There is also always free wood available from somewhere. Your budget is a little low for this type of system but if you do the installation yourself you can save a lot of money. It isn't very hard to do and the stove and piping can easily be done in a day if you have all the materials on hand. I had my insurance agent inspect my system and they added additional coverage to my policy and it wasn't that expensive. It is a bit of work to feed the fire but the savings are substantial.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    How well is the shop insulated and sealed?
    If it's insulated/seal well, the vent-less propane heaters will add to much moisture to the space. Specifically to the windows. And to mention carbon monoxide.
    Sealed well, you could use a standard 1500 watt electric heater. I know of shops twice this size that maintain 50 degrees with one.

Menards sale flyer just come out and they have a few good options, if you have a small 240volt supply to the shop.
    1.) Remington portable heater 3KW (10,000 Btu) for $79.00
    2.) ProFusion ceiling heater 5KW (17,000 Btu) for $118.00
    3.) Remington ceiling heater low/hi 2.5/5KW (8500/17,000 Btu) for $149.00

Overkill if its insulated/sealed properly:
    4.) ProFusion ceiling heater low/hi 6250/7500W (21,000/25,000 Btu) for $188.00

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Wrong time of year to be looking, but Pawn shops often have a good selection of heaters in the spring time - you may be lucky and find something in one now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How well is the shop insulated and sealed?
    If it's insulated/seal well, the vent-less propane heaters will add to much moisture to the space. Specifically to the windows. And to mention carbon monoxide.
    Sealed well, you could use a standard 1500 watt electric heater. I know of shops twice this size that maintain 50 degrees with one.

Menards sale flyer just come out and they have a few good options, if you have a small 240volt supply to the shop.
    1.) Remington portable heater 3KW (10,000 Btu) for $79.00
    2.) ProFusion ceiling heater 5KW (17,000 Btu) for $118.00
    3.) Remington ceiling heater low/hi 2.5/5KW (8500/17,000 Btu) for $149.00

Overkill if its insulated/sealed properly:
    4.) ProFusion ceiling heater low/hi 6250/7500W (21,000/25,000 Btu) for $188.00

OP was not interested in electric options. I think he is short on power right now.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Quick update - I have purchased a Mr Heater Big Buddy propane heater.

Menards has them on sale now.

I am aware of the safety precautions that I need to take. Looking forward to trying it out. Also, looking forward to a good source of emergency heat with winter setting in.

Top Bottom