• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    After some malfunctions 10 years ago I changed the extractor, recoil spring, and mag springs, on my 1911 officer model. All of a sudden the extractor started to slip and leave empties in the chamber. While reading some reviews on 'midwayusa', someone mentioned 'tensioning'. What's involved? Can I salvage the extractor I've got?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    :popcorn: Everything I think I know about setting the tension on an extractor I read on the Internet. I have not had any problems on my 45 acp. But I have a 9mm 1911 that I think could use a tweak. It was loose and I may have got it too snug.

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    This is just what I needed. Not to thread jack, but was having problems with rounds failing to eject. Sometimes the rounds would get rammed right back into the feed lips on the mag. My slide is failing all the extractor tests. This brings me one step closer to figuring out my problem. Thanks Jinks.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    You may be able to re tension the extractor but if it starts dropping cases again you will want to buy a good extractor. What happens many times is the extractor, which is nothing more than a leaf spring, was incorrectly tempered when it was made or was made from something other than actual spring steel and or has lost its temper over time. Wilson, EGW, Brown or an original Colt are very good extractors. I have to ask, do you ever drop a round in the chamber and then close the slide on it? That will kill an extractor very shortly because it s not designed to snap over the rim of a case. One other thing to look at - any time a round gets drug through the feed lips (known as an inertial feed) that's a sign of a weak magazine spring. Does that only happen on the last 1 or 2 rounds or anywhere in the magazine?

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    You may be able to re tension the extractor but if it starts dropping cases again you will want to buy a good extractor. What happens many times is the extractor, which is nothing more than a leaf spring, was incorrectly tempered when it was made or was made from something other than actual spring steel and or has lost its temper over time. Wilson, EGW, Brown or an original Colt are very good extractors. I have to ask, do you ever drop a round in the chamber and then close the slide on it? That will kill an extractor very shortly because it s not designed to snap over the rim of a case. One other thing to look at - any time a round gets drug through the feed lips (known as an inertial feed) that's a sign of a weak magazine spring. Does that only happen on the last 1 or 2 rounds or anywhere in the magazine?
    The current extractor is a Wilson "bullet proof". I don't abuse it like you described, closing the action on a chambered round. I've had the extractor slip, leaving a case in the barrel, on just about any cartridge in the magazine but occasionally it will work for a full mag.

Thanks for posting that link Jinks. I tried putting more tension on the extractor. I see some 'gunsmithing' experimenting in my next range session. Anyone have any idea long the extractor will hold that tension before needing another tweaking?

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Anyone have any idea long the extractor will hold that tension before needing another tweaking?

This is all going to depend on how fatigued the metal in the extractor is and how often you take it out to clean it. Taking an extractor in and out of the extractor tunnel a lot can also change the bend or tune of the extractor over time. If there is any question at all about the extractor and the life of it, I would replace it. Extractors are cheap. Tune that one and keep it as a pre fit backup in case you ever need an emergency replacement (that is if you can get it to work again). It likely has just lost some tension, but the hook can wear out as well.

migunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    DeMotte
    1. Extractor adjust
    2 recoil spring a ring weight
    3 firing pin stop loose

Usually one of the above in order. As always cheapest part first.

Top Bottom