• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Growing up as a small child Thanksgiving was always at my paternal grandparents house. It was the one time a year my father would see his four sisters and their husbands all together and I would see my cousins. One of the traditions was that all the men would go out early and rabbit hunt while Thanksgiving dinner was being prepared. Following dinner the men would the share stories (and lies) around the euchre table. Oh how I yearned to be old enough to be included in those male only activities !

Now years later my mind returns to those days and times when life was simpler. Today I have more "stuff" but mourn the fact that 2 of my 4 children have permanently moved over 1,000 miles away. Each of my children see their siblings only rarely and I'm afraid they'll not have the memories similar to what I recall. I am thankful for the many blessing I have received throughout my life - friends, a good wife, generally good health, and the ability to live in a country that affords me the luxury of exercising my rights in the greatest republic ever seen. I hope we can keep it. I wish everyone a warm Thanksgiving day.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    We moved into this house on Thanksgiving day 16 years ago. All our stuff was in boxes and since we planned on buying all new furniture, we didn't even have a table yet... Thanksgiving dinner was a pizza delivered and we ate it while sitting on the floor talking about all our plans. Best Thanksgiving ever.

rudyman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    dekalb co.
    I was lucky enough to spend most of my childhood with the same tradition at my mothers parents. My uncle was only 1 1/2 years older than I ,the same age as my older brother. My mom had 3 sisters ,their husbands and uncle Skip my brother and I would rabbit hunt before noon. When we were old enough to carry a gun we got to hunt. The card games were loud and boisterous. Two or three tables going at all times.This went on until I was in twenties........gramps moved to town in the early nineties. My uncle Skip and I still hunt together,he was in my woods opening weekend this year I was out of town for opening of deer season .He and my son in law hunted together.My wife's family were here yesterday ,and my brother in laws,my son ,my son in law,and my nephews shot 4 cases of clay pigeons.Its not rabbit hunting at grampas but nothing ever will be.I hope we made some memories that are as cherished as mine are.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I posted the following in another thread, but would like it to be seen by as many as possible:

(begin) We went to my Brothers this year, and all was well. No real anti gunners there, but lot's of small screaming kids. I'm actually pretty proud of my family, I have two older brothers and an older sister, and we have all been involved in the settling of my moms estate. Since September of 09' when mom died, we have divided up her belongings, donated some things, split up the money mom had, and, just last month, sold the house and split the proceeds between the four of us. During the past few years, NOBODY has gotten their feelings hurt, NOBODY thought they weren't being treated equally, and we ALL still enjoy each others company. I know it's rare, I know things like the death of a parent can divide families, but it didn't happen with us! I think it says a lot about how our mom raised us. (end)

My memories of Thanksgivings past are mainly centered around my mom. I remember the way the house smelled on thanksgiving morning, as she had been up since the wee hours working on our meal, how she never would turn over the preparation of the meal to anyone else, as she saw it as her responsibility.

We've tried doing a few different things for the holiday since mom died, but nothing will ever bring back Thanksgiving the way mom did it.

Top Bottom