The Appleseed FAQ: What to bring, what to expect, etc.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    The Unofficial Appleseed FAQ (taken and modified from Michael Adam's "What to Bring")

What is Appleseed?

Appleseed is a heritage program with an outstanding rifle clinic. In it you will spend two days learning about the opening of the American Revolution and the choices, sacrifices and skills that our forefathers and mothers brought to bear that enabled a bunch of farmers to defeat the greatest Army in the world. In these two days you will learn how to master yourself and your rifle and take your place in American history as a master of the rifle.

Is Appleseed a Milita?

NO. Appleseed is a 503c, non-for-profit organization that teaches heritage and rifle marksmanship. It is made up of volunteers from every walk of life including law enforcement. We do not encourage, or allow, anti-government or illegal activities or discussions.

Is Appleseed for me?

Yes, yes, and yes. If you are an American, Appleseed is for you. If you are a father, Appleseed is for you. If you are a mother, Appleseed is for you. If you are a teen, Appleseed is for you. If you are a gun owner, Appleseed is for you. If you are a patriot, Appleseed is for you. I could go on, but you get the point.

What should I Bring?

A learning mind, a good attitude, and some gear to use.

What gear should I bring?

Rifle- preferably two rifles, with one being a .22. A second rifle will also give you somewhere to go if there are problems with your primary. And bring a small notebook for each rifle you bring that you can use to jot down all the data for that rifle from now on. *There are some ranges that are .22 only (please check).

Ammunition- you will need 400-500 rounds of ammunition. If you bring a .22 bring 300 rounds for the .22, Then around 200 rounds of ammunition for your centerfire rifle. But you will need approx. 400-500 rounds total to shoot the weekend in whatever caliber you are shooting.

Hearing protection and eye protection- Bring shooting glasses, ear muffs and ear plugs in case you get put on the line next to a high noise rifle.

Tools- At least a minimum set of tools for your rifle including screwdrivers that fit your rifle's screws and cleaning equipment and lubrication.

Shooting mat/Rain gear and rifle cover towel. Have a mat you can lie on and a towel or piece of cloth/waterproof tarp you can use to cover your rifle when it is not being used or it is raining. Also a rain jacket and rain pants since Appleseed instruction and shooting continues despite inclement weather.

Shooting jacket or elbow pads- You will be spending a lot of time in prone and you will need a good jacket with pads, or elbow pads themselves. If you don't do this, bring a lot of bandaids for the large bleeding holes that will soon appear early the first day on your elbows and haunt you through the rest of the weekend.

A hat with a brim since you will spend a good amount of time in the sun and/or rain and you want to keep you head and neck protected.

Sunscreen. You will be out in the sun for days. Even if you think you are used to this, a good 2nd degree sun burn on the first or second day will gladly stay with you the rest of the week. Remember, the whole point of this week is to make you a better shot and train you to become an instructor. Anything that detracts from that is no good. Look at your instructors; you will see the white paste of sunscreen on their necks also. Most of us learned the hard way.

Loose fitting clothes. This means your fat pants, not your Friday night wranglers. You want to be able to get in different positions easily without straining and pinching or tightness. A pair of oversized jeans will work, or some BDUs or sweat pants etc. Same with your shirt. Nice loose fitting comfortable cotton shirt and dress in layers you can shed as the day heats up.

A small personal first aid kit- with Band-Aids, etc.and some aspirin or alieve for aching muscles you have not used.

Food. You will need stuff to eat in whatever amounts you are accustomed to, and make sure you include stuff you can put in your pocket for eating while you are on the line. Snack stuff, peanuts, crackers etc. A light breakfast and lunch with occasional snacks is best as it will help keep your mind and body sharp and keep the blood in your head rather than in your gut.

Water. Make sure and have plenty of water with you at the camp and on the line. A gallon jug is a good amount and you can even freeze this and drink it as it melts, but you will need a minimum of one gallon a day in the shade. You should be drinking constantly on the line, even if you do not feel thirsty. When you start to dehydrate your eyesight is the first thing to go and by the time you feel thirsty, it has already been affected. Keep a bottle of water/Gatorade etc. on the line with you and drink from it constantly.

Can we camp?

There is camping at many events and you should get the chance if you can.

Camping and sleeping gear. What ever your level of comfort requires. Remember that the weekend is not for you to show how tuff you are as far as roughing it. Make yourself comfortable. You will be working long days and your body will need rest and protection from the elements. Make yourself as comfortable in your camp as you can. A good nights sleep is worth it's weight in gold when the next morning finds you on the line and we are shoving instruction down your throat. Eight hours of good sleep is going to make that instruction go down much easier.

There will be hotels near each event that you can use if that is more your style and there is nothing wrong with using them. We happen to think that sharing the evenings in socializing with Riflemen, and sharing the ground at the event with your mates is a more fulfilling experience, but you are in charge of your sleeping arrangements.

Last edited:

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I know a GI style sling is recommended, I've heard that nylon be used. What about the leather ones? I seem to be having an easier time finding leather GI slings than I am the nylon.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    The leather slings are nice in a wood & leather way, but they are slightly less precise and less comfortable (pinch more). On the other hand, they work just fine. I used one at my first seed, now I use the normal GI sling.

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    The leather slings are nice in a wood & leather way, but they are slightly less precise and less comfortable (pinch more). On the other hand, they work just fine. I used one at my first seed, now I use the normal GI sling.

Ooooohhhh... I much prefer the 1907 sling over the GI sling. I think they are more precise because they wear into a "set" that is repeatable with use.

In my opinion/experience, the 1907 sling...
    - is more comfortable when broken in.
    - will not leave you looking for a position that keeps a stamped steel buckle from digging into your hand.
    - allows just enough give to make settling into your NPOA easier.
    - can be used and removed faster, unless you like wearing a sling everywhere you go.
    - will not freeze solid during a winterseed. A frozen solid GI sling is not even a good stick.
    - is the real deal. The cloth GI sling was a wartime expedient, not an improvement over the 1907.

Keep in mind that a $8 1" kinda-leather-like sling is no more a 1907 than a SuperSling is a GI sling.

YHJ

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I've got a few of the Super slings, but I figured the way it attached at the back wouldn't work like one of you have shown me before to loop around the bicep to shoot prone. Until the link you just gave me I hadn't been able to find one of the GI slings except for on CTD and I don't wanna deal with them. All I had really found was like this.

Springfield Armory National Match Military Shooting Sling 1-1/4" Leather Tan - MidwayUSA

Which one is the 1907? Was it the one in the link you gave?

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    I've got a few of the Super slings, but I figured the way it attached at the back wouldn't work like one of you have shown me before to loop around the bicep to shoot prone. Until the link you just gave me I hadn't been able to find one of the GI slings except for on CTD and I don't wanna deal with them. All I had really found was like this.

Springfield Armory National Match Military Shooting Sling 1-1/4" Leather Tan - MidwayUSA

Which one is the 1907? Was it the one in the link you gave?

The link you have above is for the Springfield Sporters brand 1907, it's not a great sling, but perfectly fine for general shooting. If you really want to shoot HP or a Garand match I would recommend a heavier sling like a Turner.

The second link in my post is for the GI sling Techres is talking about. Here are the links again.

1907 sling
    GI Sling

YHJ

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Ok cool, I guess I will prob get one of each and see which one I like better. Thanks for the info! I'd say those links will help out alot of people wondering what sling will be best so they don't waste their money with other types first. I'll be getting the rifle I'll be using for appleseeds real soon and either of those slings will work well. I will look into the heavier ones too.

I plan on hitting one of the ones in June, and hopefully July as well.

DHolder

Expert
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Which ever sling, rifle or other equipment you bring, the instructors will help you to become a better shooter.:yesway:
    One thing you need to bring, you dont have to go buy, is a teachable attitude. Come prepared to be fed information thru a fire hose, then be prepared to apply what you have learned.:ar15:
    The markmanship is only part of Appleseed, you will hear how our forefathers, and their sacrfices, paved the way for out freedom.
    I look forward to seeing you on the trail....:patriot:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    Are slings required for a 22?

They are highly advised as they are a part of the cirriculum. If you do not have any then there likely will be loaners available - ask the shoot boss before you go to check on that.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    Scopes are cool. No big deal. Make sure you pick up a USGI loop sling somewhere. You'll be glad you did. You can probably borrow one from an instructor if need be.

Last edited:

GKal

Plinker
    Apr 30, 2016
    Richmond
    Would it be ok to attend one of these events (Evansville) with just a centerfire rifle? Or is a .22 a must have? TIA

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Would it be ok to attend one of these events (Evansville) with just a centerfire rifle? Or is a .22 a must have? TIA

Check the event details as it is up to the host range. I've shot AS with both, but not all ranges allow center fire. It's not AS, but the range that dictates it.

Good luck and have fun.

Top Bottom