• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I havent shot it in so long because of the frustration, but as I recall it will shoot a few rounds and then jam, shoot a few rounds and jam.......
    That sounds like the mag issue since the feed ramp is part of the mag. I bet if you called Henry, they probably say the same thing and send you out a new mag. Also what i do and thousands of otther do to a newly load mag, is rap it against the palm of your hand to seat the rounds. That helps too, but probably mag issue.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    That sounds like the mag issue since the feed ramp is part of the mag. I bet if you called Henry, they probably say the same thing and send you out a new mag. Also what i do and thousands of otther do to a newly load mag, is rap it against the palm of your hand to seat the rounds. That helps too, but probably mag issue.
    Yep, tried different mags and even know the tap trick, I even sometimes tap my ar mags on my boot to look cool in front of my friends.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    There used to be a pistol version of the AR-7 made by Charter Arms... but as well as those junkers worked. Henry did a lot of work to get the AR-7 working again.
    I have that pistol - the Explorer II. Stores and extra mag in the grip and came with a 6" and 8" barrel. There is a slot in the receiver 180 degrees opposite the slot in the rifle, to keep you from making an SBR using pistol barrels.

Took the Charter Arms backpacking in the Deam (where hunting is allowed). Shot two frogs for dinner and it worked just fine. Intended to get a squirrel but didn't see any until we were driving out. Light and weatherproof - just right for backpacking, where you have to haul every ounce uphill. SWMBO shoots the AR7 very well - better than I do.

As mentioned above, since the feed ramp is part of the mag, I have had to junk a few mags that would not function consistently. It might be possible to salvage them by bending the feed ramp, which I might attempt since mags are unnecessarily expensive.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    The Charters work fine. The sights are horrible. I had three of the Bricklee Armalites and like an idiot sold all three of them but that's what I was doing with guns back then. Probably made twenty bucks apiece on them. Life would be more enjoyable if I had less of a memory.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you just want a compact gun and it doesn't have to be a take-down, you might consider a Mare's Leg and shoot it with a cheek weld.

Or a Charger in a cut-down 10/22 stock.

This one wears a 1-4X variable scope.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I had a henry and honestly every time I assembled it to shoot I had a new zero and point of impact. I had to be honest with myself and wonder how far I could hit a rabbit or a squirrel for that matter and the one I had wasn't worth keeping.

Had a marlin papoose too and I thought having the front and rear sight on the barrel would eliminate that issue and it did until the rear sight kept getting bumped around and would lose zero that way. The flimsy leaf sight just kept getting knocked around.

I've had a ruger 10-22 takedown, but it was so heavy for what it was I figured there was nothing to gain on my old school 10-22 with folding stock so I sold it.

I had a Savage 42 takedown youth, and all I can say is just save your money. Sights are utter junk and why someone would make them out of such soft plastic is beyond me. Every time I got the thing out the sights were mashed a new direction. Couldn't be happier to have sold that.

Currently, I've got a TPS M6 scout 22/410. Only issue with that is when I got it the rear sight was 8" off. Customer service was awesome and sent me a new one that's almost perfect. Definitely able to hit a rabbit with the 22lr and squirrel with 410. With 13rds of 22lr, and 6rds 410 the gun weights almost 5# when I tuck all my "survival" gadgets in the space of the stock. Nice thing is that TPS really did modernize the design and the two takedown pins makes it really easy to toss into a pack. Of all the takedown guns I've got, I'm absolutely the happiest with this, but I'd still prefer a semi auto 22lr if there was a suitable option out there. I've got nothing but love for a takedown rifle, but I haven't had the best of luck other that the TPS.

Top Bottom