• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    "when any government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the People to alter or abolish it."

Not to be a smart ass or anything, but the Declaration of Independence is not law. I'm looking specifically for laws or court cases.

What citation from what founding document are you using to force 50 states who disagree with each other to hang together and support a strong, bloated, abusive central government?

Easy there killer. I'm not the one making statements about the legitimacy to secede. You don't know my political offiliation or how I even feel about secession. Try reading what I said before you jump on the bash CombatVet band wagon.

MikePapa1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    North of Nashville, Tennessee
    When I lived in Brownsburg I flew a 34 Star US flag and an 11 star First National. Since moving to Tennessee I do the same but have added responsibility for Confederate Circle at the local cemetery. There I fly one of the numerous battle flags. Now it has a Terry's Texas Rangers Bonnie Blue in honor of the Texans killed in August 1862 at the Battle of Gallatin. Next month the Kentucky troops will be honored with a Kentucky First National.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    What citation are you using for a state to be able to legally leave the union? I'd like to see it. I'm a student in an American Politics class and I'd like to bring this up.

I don't know if this will help you, but there was a textbook used at West Point when most of the generals involved in the War were cadets there. I believe it was first published in 1828. In this textbook, it taught that secession was a legal right of the states. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of this textbook. I'm fairly certain it is being reprinted and can be purchased. I tried Googling, but I couldn't find it. Perhaps one of our other posters will know the name of this book.

Well, I tried again and found what I was looking for. This link explains it better than I could;

Secession? Legal? Oh really! | The Arkansas Toothpick - The Civil War Hub of Arkansas

Last edited:

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    I don't know if this will help you, but there was a textbook used at West Point when most of the generals involved in the War were cadets there. I believe it was first published in 1828. In this textbook, it taught that secession was a legal right of the states. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of this textbook. I'm fairly certain it is being reprinted and can be purchased. I tried Googling, but I couldn't find it. Perhaps one of our other posters will know the name of this book.

Well, I tried again and found what I was looking for. This link explains it better than I could;

Secession? Legal? Oh really! | The Arkansas Toothpick - The Civil War Hub of Arkansas

Rep'd. Thanks I'll be bringing this up in class tomorrow.

Vasili

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Not to be a smart ass or anything, but the Declaration of Independence is not law. I'm looking specifically for laws or court cases.

Easy there killer. I'm not the one making statements about the legitimacy to secede. You don't know my political offiliation or how I even feel about secession. Try reading what I said before you jump on the bash CombatVet band wagon.

Not to be a stickler for truth or anything, but that document is so important that the Founders used it to establish their reasoning in seceding from Britian, as well as what the purposes of their new nation were. does anyone abide it, no. it's a shouting from the hillside than official edict, but it remains the original document proclaiming in their intent and purpose. even earlier than the original articles of confederation.

so how bout them ignored apples?

FatGeek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    ...that document is so important that the Founders used it to establish their reasoning in seceding from Britian, as well as what the purposes of their new nation were. ...it remains the original document proclaiming in their intent and purpose. even earlier than the original articles of confederation.

The Federalist Papers are what clarified the founding documents and provide the context for me. I think it was Madison that said that if the people of a state disagree with a Federal ruling, that they were to continue to appeal that ruling via the state, until either the state could agree with the ruling, or the state refused to accept that ruling. When the objections and differences with the federal outweigh the benefits of being in the union, they are free to secede. He went as far as to say the same should happen between counties and the state. It boils down to there not being any provision for a state to NOT be able to secede. If states were openly prohibited from leaving the union, they would have never joined in the first place.

Vasili

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Indiana
    The Federalist Papers are what clarified the founding documents and provide the context for me. I think it was Madison that said that if the people of a state disagree with a Federal ruling, that they were to continue to appeal that ruling via the state, until either the state could agree with the ruling, or the state refused to accept that ruling. When the objections and differences with the federal outweigh the benefits of being in the union, they are free to secede. He went as far as to say the same should happen between counties and the state. It boils down to there not being any provision for a state to NOT be able to secede. If states were openly prohibited from leaving the union, they would have never joined in the first place.

all good points.
    i prefer the anti-federalist papers, myself, but still good stuff. john jay almost made sense. madison is an okay guy, for a statist fella.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    Not to be a stickler for truth or anything, but that document is so important that the Founders used it to establish their reasoning in seceding from Britian, as well as what the purposes of their new nation were. does anyone abide it, no. it's a shouting from the hillside than official edict, but it remains the original document proclaiming in their intent and purpose. even earlier than the original articles of confederation.

so how bout them ignored apples?

Again, that's all good and well, but you're missing my point. I need law, documented court cases, not a document that carries (sadly) no weight in a court of law. I may as well be using a technical manual on how to refurbish couches.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Unless I misunderstand your quest, you AREN'T going to find any court cases on secession, since the first time it happened we had a civil war.

And laws don't generally work that way. They tell us what we CAN'T do, not what we CAN do. The best I've ever been able to find on the topic was in the link I posted yesterday.

Top Bottom