• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I thing not mentioned is the date.It is easy to lose track of when there is not a daily reminder.We camped for over a month last year,and the date did not seem to matter at all.However if you are looking to plant crops(even a garden)or calculate how many days of food you have knowing the current date would be very valuable.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I've worn a watch since middle school(graduated in '85). Cell phones are nice, but a watch battery lasts a heck of a lot longer that a cell battery does. I wish they would sell new watches that had to wound again. I can't believed the watches I disposed of when I was younger.:xmad:

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There is a way to use a watch with hands as a compass. Have never done it but have read about it.

Hold your watch face parallel to the ground and point the hour hand at the sun. Halfway between the hour hand and 12:00 is due south. This works in the northern hemisphere as long as your'e not near the equator or North Pole.

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The uses for a watch go beyond navigation (direction & distance). Measuring cooking time, water purification time, coordinating operations, reflecting sunlight for signaling, etc.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    My girls set up a sundial around our flag pole...other than that we'll be keeping watch on a regular schedule (as regular as the sun and shadows anyway).

I also have a few dial and inertia watches that don't require batteries or functioning electronics after and EMP...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I always wear a watch. Cheap Casio's last a long time. Clock, calendar, stop watch, timer, alarm for less than $25, they are hard to beat.

I also have a "shepherds watch".
    It is a ring with a sliding ring inside that you calibrate by the month. Hanging from the string, you point it so the sun shines in the hole on the middle ring. Where the dot of sunlight hits on the inside is the time. really neat sometimes, but not too good on cloudy days, (or at night) :):

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I wish they would sell new watches that had to wound again. I can't believed the watches I disposed of when I was younger.:xmad:

In the 60's I had a ELGIN self winding watch. It would stay running as long as you were wearing it, as any motion of you body would keep it wound. If you left it on the dresser, it would stop after a day or so. It got stolen from my gym locker in High school.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    It amazes me how many people rely on their phones for EVERYTHING. Time, flashlight, etc.

I get weird looks because I carry a flashlight all day, every day. But, it works a hell of a lot better than any LED on any cell phone. I wear a watch pretty much all of the time as well.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I quit wearing a watch back in the early 1990s when I no longer wanted to know what time it was.

I am rethinking. I may get a Timex.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Been looking at Garmin Fenix 3, tactix, and Casio newest protech with the solar saffire triple sensor after reading here.

Are there solar chargers that bypass charming a battery to charge your device vs having the limitation of intermediate battery life?

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Buy a good automatic mechanical watch, one that's self winding that can be wound with the crown as well. No worry of batteries, and the compass trick works with the hands.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    Been looking at Garmin Fenix 3, tactix, and Casio newest protech with the solar saffire triple sensor after reading here.

Are there solar chargers that bypass charming a battery to charge your device vs having the limitation of intermediate battery life?

I've looked at the Fenix 3 as well. But ~$500 is pretty salty for the saphire version, which is the one I'd want.

Top Bottom