• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Good review! You have more guts that I do intentially freezing a rifle like that (since water does expand when it freezes), but a great real-world test for sure, since melted snow can and will re-freeze in a similar fashion.

P.S. Where's the eye-pro? Seems like that might have been a good idea considering there could have been a blocked bore or other malfunction due to the ice.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    P.S. Where's the eye-pro? Seems like that might have been a good idea considering there could have been a blocked bore or other malfunction due to the ice.
    You know, for this exercise it probably would have been a good idea. I only wear it when shooting outside at steel. But you're right, something could have gone wrong even though I purposely kept water out of the barrel. But ice could have gotten thrown forward into the chamber during firing. There was lots of ice in the action of both rifles.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    The videos are great, I think investing in a mic to give it some real clean audio would make this really professional looking and sounding (And maybe the eye-pro).

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    The videos are great, I think investing in a mic to give it some real clean audio would make this really professional looking and sounding (And maybe the eye-pro).
    Thanks.

Actually, I have a shotgun mic on the camera. But it was set to 90 degrees so you really have to face the camera for it to pick up audio better. But you should have heard (or you can if you go back, look at my shooting steel video) it before the shotgun mic. You could hear all the traffic on the highway near by and my voice level would go up and down even more.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Thanks.

Actually, I have a shotgun mic on the camera. But it was set to 90 degrees so you really have to face the camera for it to pick up audio better. But you should have heard (or you can if you go back, look at my shooting steel video) it before the shotgun mic. You could hear all the traffic on the highway near by and my voice level would go up and down even more.

These can really help, especially if you can tun the AGC (Auto Gain Control) off on your camera. It opens you up to use any pro mic(s) on the market. Guessing you're using the Rode or Sennheiser shotgun with the 1/8" TRRS stereo plug?

BeachTek DXA-2T Universal Camcorder Adapter

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Thanks, but I'm sticking with this setup and not investing any more money into camcorder equipment:

1169642492_xCvR9-M.jpg

Until this becomes available and I can get my mits on it:

Canon-XF105-XF100-Professional-Camcorders.jpg

...then I will go hog wild.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Thanks, but I'm sticking with this setup and not investing any more money into camcorder equipment:

Until this becomes available and I can get my mits on it:

Canon-XF105-XF100-Professional-Camcorders.jpg

...then I will go hog wild.

What you're doing now is very good so, no, you don't need different gear. The only advantage of the BeachTek would be mic positioning; one to pick up you/weapon and run an XLR down by your steel target... that kinda thing is what I'm talking about... audio "frosting" on the cake. :)

I'd imagine that the Canon above has stereo XLR inputs anyway; I know Panasonic and Sony models in that range do.

Top Bottom