• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I enjoy owning firearms. I like shooting and I love duck hunting. My wife doesn't shoot and would not be labeled at "pro gun". She has never shot a gun. I usually don't get into gun discussions with my wife because I know her stance - she just doesn't know anything about guns. She comes from a wonderful family, but they have never owned a firearm. I have always just kept my hobbies to myself understanding how difficult it could be to educate people "who don't know." I have asked her to go shooting with me, but have respected her decision when she declines. I have never wanted to push firearms on her.

It occurred to me on Saturday night that it is time to start talking about what we enjoy. We went to a restaurant in Fishers and and walked in at a busy time. The young hostess was chatting with other customers when I heard her say,

"Yeah, and who should be allowed to own a hundred rounds of ammunition anyways?!?"

Jokingly, I mentioned to my wife that it's a good thing she hasn't seen my basement. Right then is when it occurred to me. They just don't get it. This girl, like so many others, has never been around guns. How long would a day at the range be if you were only able to take 30 rounds? Or less? Would duck hunting be the same if you only had 10 shots? Reloading wouldn't be nearly as peaceful when you can only reload one box of ammo.

Later that night, we were watching some of the media coverage which was still full of speculation and uncertain facts. I had a defining moment and I'm almost ashamed to admit it. When they pictured a Saiga 12 gauge (which looked to be SBSed), my wife asked,

"Who needs to own one of those?"

I cowarded and didn't say a thing. I totally tuned out to everything else and just realized that other people just don't get it. My wife knows I love firearms, but she asked the question.

It's like sports cars - who would ever need to own a GT40, a Z06, a viper, etc... Golf clubs - who would need a $2k set? Jewelry - who would need a $10K watch?

I'm now to the point where I feel it's important to speak out about what I enjoy. Is it too late? Probably. Should this have been my agenda the last 10 years of ownership? I feel it's impossible to educate the masses at this point. The media is going to take this negative energy. They have picked up the ball and they are headed for the endzone.

I won't be able to change the world's understanding, but I'm going to do my best in my small world of friends and family. :patriot:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It's never too late to speak up. You just have to be prepared for the fact that it is a rare event when your words, no matter how eloquent and persuasive, will change somebody's mind on the spot. Most people change their minds on deeply held convictions after internal contemplation. But that shouldn't keep you or any of us from helping to cause people to see our side of the coin. In fact by not speaking up is probably worse--unless you're going to be insulting, condescending, or just a plain jerk about it.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Don't give up...sometimes it is hard to speak up or say the "right" thing on the fly, especially in public. Last thing you want it a hocker in your entree! ;)

Life isn't about dwelling on what we didn't do, it's about remembering how we felt the last time we didn't do something when we should/could have and making an effort to do something with the next opportunity we get.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Ask her why do you need so many .....
    Cars, shoes, clothes, dishes, movies, TVs, etc
    You do not have to NEED to BUY in THIS country.

Ask her why she needs a gas tank with 15 gallons. Only lawbreakers Need that.
    Why have a car drive faster than 30mph. Only need it if you're running from the police.
    Why do you need an SUV.
    Etc

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Why have a car drive faster than 30mph. Only need it if you're running from the police.
    Why do you need an SUV.
    Etc

Why does anyone need a car, tv, movies, electricity, more than one set of clothes, more than one table setting...

No one needs any of those things, any more than they need an AK. So who's going to be the national choice tsar to tell us what we can and cannot own.

This "need" argument re guns is preposterous considering all the crap most Americans own.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI

Why do you need an SUV.
    Etc

Was going to post about the same thing.
    We do not need choices in food, we should all eat nutritional slop through a chest tube. I had to do it, and it kept me alive. It has everything that you need. With it, Doctors would be able to regulate our weight, so we would not have more obese people, then we would be saving money on health care. I mean, i KNOW you should be able to have free choices, and they have consequences, but lets do away with choices, after all, we just make bad ones or something along those lines.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Following my lead, there are now 4 guys at church (including worship leader), my father, & 1 friend who carry. At first they thought it odd & a few even seemed offended. But they were also interested in why such a smart, *handsome*, logical, non-hunting guy would decide to start carrying a firearm all of a sudden. It took a few years & a lot of well-thought discussions, but there they are, pink permission slips & high-cap pistols on their hips. I'm even getting close to getting through to my wife. Friday's event hit her hard enough that I think she's really starting to understand just what it is that I invested a few thousand dollars & countless hours into. Maybe she'll start to understand exactly why I refuse to go to NY or Chicago :dunno:

CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Without people like you, the gun movement is doomed. People are afraid of what they don't understand. Fear is driving this and people do not speak logically when they are caught up with emotion. I have been deeply moved too. My wife is similar to yours and it is important to educate and not be silent. Stay strong!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    It's not about hunting,collecting or even self defense against a rapist or murderer.
    The 2A is about keeping power with the people, having comparable force against those who would oppress them.
    Even if some people don't see the need, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
    Thank goodness the Founding Fathers understood the ways of man, put a safeguard in for freedom.
    IMHO anybody who thinks the 2A is open for debate/compromise, needs to be deported.
    "shall not be infringed" is pretty damn specific.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    We'd ALL better get to humpin' ....

... on the radio, in the papers, to our state and congressional reps. letting them know how WE will act depending upon how THEY react to this insanity. Don't sacrifice ANY freedoms, or throw turds on the gravestones of our warriors who won those freedoms -- or take advantage of the grief of any family. Yes, a WRONG has been done, but MORE WRONGS WON'T EVER MAKE IT RIGHT. SPEAK OUT WHILE YOU STILL HAVE A WEAPON. Free speech is next in line to go.
    It's never too late to speak up. You just have to be prepared for the fact that it is a rare event when your words, no matter how eloquent and persuasive, will change somebody's mind on the spot. Most people change their minds on deeply held convictions after internal contemplation. But that shouldn't keep you or any of us from helping to cause people to see our side of the coin. In fact by not speaking up is probably worse--unless you're going to be insulting, condescending, or just a plain jerk about it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    ... on the radio, in the papers, to our state and congressional reps. letting them know how WE will act depending upon how THEY react to this insanity. Don't sacrifice ANY freedoms, or throw turds on the gravestones of our warriors who won those freedoms -- or take advantage of the grief of any family. Yes, a WRONG has been done, but MORE WRONGS WON'T EVER MAKE IT RIGHT. SPEAK OUT WHILE YOU STILL HAVE A WEAPON. Free speech is next in line to go.

Yes. Who's written to their congressman yet? Don't be like the NRA, go on a respectful, considerate, offensive:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...tacted_their_congressman_and_senator_yet.html

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    You should keep your politics and religion to yourself, young lady ...

That's what you should have said. And continued, "That guy was crazy, and if the principal or janitor or any teacher had been allowed to be armed, ONLY the crazy guy would be the dead man. Don't you talk crazy, cuz you might lose your tip, from more folks in this place than you might think." Defend yourself, and defend the rest of us!!!
    I enjoy owning firearms. I have never wanted to push firearms on <anyone>.

It occurred to me on Saturday night that it is time to start talking about what we enjoy. We went to a restaurant in Fishers and and walked in at a busy time. The young hostess was chatting with other customers when I heard her say, "Yeah, and who should be allowed to own a hundred rounds of ammunition anyways?! Right then is when it occurred to me. They just don't get it. This girl, like so many others, has never been around guns. It's like sports cars - who would ever need to own a GT40, a Z06, a viper, etc... Golf clubs - who would need a $2k set? Jewelry - who would need a $10K watch?
    <No, it's NOT like sports cars; the need for a gun is to keep governments OUT of control of our lives!> Should this have been my agenda the last 10 years of ownership? I feel it's impossible to educate the masses at this point. The media is going to take this negative energy. They have picked up the ball and they are headed for the endzone. <But WE have a half-dozen guys between them and the end-zone!!>

I won't be able to change the world's understanding, but I'm going to do my best in my small world of friends and family. <worry LESS about the world, and kick your reps in the nutz! > :patriot:
    GOOD LUCK.

Top Bottom