• ...and so much more!
  • Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Normally I wouldn't do this, but I had such a terrible experience there yesterday, I feel like I need to.

First, their prices on reloading gear are outrageous. $42 for a 50 pack of 300gn .451 bullets? They sell for $18 at Midway.

Second, they picked out my requested primers from behind the counter, and gave me several packs of the wrong kind. They taped them all up with the correct ones on top, but I'll have to burn $15 in gas to go return $12 worth of primers.

Third, $60 for a set of RCBS carbide dies? Really?

Fourth, when I called to tell them about the primer problem, they replied by saying, "Well, we're all human, just understand that we made a mistake." Yeah, you did make a mistake. So did I by driving down to buy my primers from you.

Fifth, their prices are now officially higher than Gander Mountain.

Look, I might have a blue name tag, but this isn't competition bashing. I shop all over this town when I need supplies to fill an order and can't justify a Hazmat shipment. Gander, Plainfield, Bradis, anywhere I can get what I need. But this was the last time I've ever going all the way down there. Ever.

-1 for the Outdoorsman.

merkava1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I think people as they walk in expect discount prices because the of the bait-and-tackle front. For some reason everyone is kinda pricey south of Indy, incl. Elmore's and Beech Grove. As for Gander - premium price tags on average but they do have specials that beat the good ol'boys or anything on the Internet.:dunno:

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    As discussed before. Their pricing has become insane and I can't see the that section of their business surviving. If i want to pay $30 for a lb of powder, I'll go to Gander and save the gas. At least the wife will come with on that trip.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Yep. I'll pay a little more for the Mom and Pop shops. Especially if they have the service. When the price gets crazy or the service isn't there, it isn't worth it. I've probably dropped a couple hundred there over the 2.5 years that I've been in the area.

For most firearm stuff, I just head to Bradis though.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I've spent over $600 on equipment there, black powder, dies, etc in the last few months. And even over that short period of time, the pricing has gone from bad to ridiculous.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I stopped by the Atterbury range store. They had CCI primers for $31 a thousand and many powders for $21 per pound. Big selection on the powders. :yesway:

octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Had a very good Outdoorsman experience a couple years ago when my wife wanted a revolver. Staff very helpful and patient. Negotiated the price down without much hassle. Very good experience, that time.

However, less than satisfactory experience most of the time in every gun shop I have visited recently. That includes outside Indiana. Seems a common attitude of indifference. Sure that business has been good since '08 so they are not hungry for sales. Also expect there have been a lot of browsers that end up buying on the internet.

High prices reflect that there are people willing to pay. When the public stops buying, the prices will drop and customer service will improve.

merkava1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    However, less than satisfactory experience most of the time in every gun shop I have visited recently. That includes outside Indiana. Seems a common attitude of indifference. Sure that business has been good since '08 so they are not hungry for sales. Also expect there have been a lot of browsers that end up buying on the internet.

High prices reflect that there are people willing to pay. When the public stops buying, the prices will drop and customer service will improve.

Right on regarding the prices. Nobody owes us low prices. Buying cheap is not an entitlement.:baby: Nor is owning a quality gun. We are forced to pay more because there isn't enough competition in firearms sales. Big stores and chains drive the prices down. But for one reason or another, most of them bailed out of gun sales. That's why we need WALMART back. Until there is a Whittaker for every 3-4 counties, smaller dealers will be kings and they will name their prices.:soapbox:

Top Bottom