The place has gone to the Birds...Eagles and Racing Pigeons (Picture Heavy)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Thought I'd share some pictures of the Eaglets that the breeding pair have raised this year. This is the third year they have raised two. Before that they raised one and the first year they nested they didn't raise any past fledgling.

This is the best time of the year to be around when the Eaglets are learning to hunt and you will find them in various places because they aren't strong enough to fly much distances or time spand yet. They will land and rest for a while and each will call to the other, sometimes franticly until they pair up again.
    100_3616.jpg

At one time both parents and both eaglets were at the deer carcuss but of course I didn't have the camera then.

100_3625.jpg

100_3623.jpg

100_3626.jpg

100_3619.jpg

100_3618.jpg

Then today when I was putting the tractor up, there was a wounded racing pigeon in the pole barn. I caught him/her, checked the band and searched for the contacted person for that club. Havent' heard back from them yet, but it's only been a few hours. If the bird wouldn't have been wounded I would have left it alone, probably would have set some water and seed out for it, but it would have been best to have left him/her be otherwise.

100_3629.jpg

100_3630.jpg

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Sorry I should have put that in the original post... Yes the deer was a young doe/fawn and it was a road kill. Eagles are opportunist and will scavange when it is available. They have been dining on a lot of rabbit this summer.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    WOW! That is so cool! We got to see some Eagles when we went to Alaska, I can't imagine how Neet would be to have a pair nesting that close to you!

duff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Awsome pics and experience. When I lived along the Wabash River in Parke Co we used to see them all the time. Still a neat experience each time I think. If you spend any amount of time on the rivers of Indiana you will see Bald Eagles. I've even seen a few in Indy down by the Belmont Sewage Treatment Plant probably 10 years ago.

Thanks for the pics and the story.

Top Bottom