• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    60 years ago on this day... September 30th 1958, "The Rifleman" made its debut on the ABC television network. It was an American Western television program starring Chuck Connors as rancher Lucas McCain and Johnny Crawford as his son Mark McCain. Set in the 1870s and 1880s in the fictional town of North Fork, New Mexico Territory, the show was filmed in black and white, in half-hour episodes. The Rifleman aired on ABC from September 30, 1958, to April 8, 1963, as a production of Four Star Television.

It was one of the first prime time series on US television to show a single parent raising a child. In each program, Lucas teaches his son a life lesson on how to treat others with respect, and grow to be an honest, caring, hard working young man.

How's that for being "woke"?

The program was titled to reflect McCain's use of a Winchester Model 1892 rifle, customized to allow repeated firing by cycling its lever action. He demonstrates this in the opening credits of every episode. The rifle also has a large loop lever that allows one handed operation. (the John Wayne spin) He never uses this rifle, unless he has to to save the innocent from evil. It is still seen in reruns on cable channels and all over the world. I still watch on AMC on Saturday mornings sometimes. They also made it into a comic book.

The series is on DVD, that I have yet to get. Happy 60th Anniversary to the Rifleman, one of the most popular TV Westerns of all time.

Vr4hoL2.jpg

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Absolutely one of my favorite shows while growing up. Chuck Connors was the perfect actor at the perfect time for this role. I watch some of the shows whenever they pop up on TV. Too bad PC Hypocritewood can't make great series like this again. Peace. Out.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Absolutely one of my favorite shows while growing up. Chuck Connors was the perfect actor at the perfect time for this role. I watch some of the shows whenever they pop up on TV. Too bad PC Hypocritewood can't make great series like this again. Peace. Out.

Great show, hope they leave it alone.

Reboot- Johnny Depp as Lucas David Hogg as transgender Mark/Markie Rosie Odonnel as Mica. :puke:

Spinoff proposal- Mark's great grandson is a Vietnam vet/senator who runs for president! :dunno:

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I love it, watch it on MeTV @ 3:00 pm everyday, still has moral/social application in todays world. Whorywood just can't seem to put anything like this together now days. They have to have some political hatred, bisexual, anti Trump crap in everything they put out anymore.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I love it, watch it on MeTV @ 3:00 pm everyday, still has moral/social application in todays world. Whorywood just can't seem to put anything like this together now days. They have to have some political hatred, bisexual, anti Trump crap in everything they put out anymore.

Speaking of... anybody catch the first episode of the new season of "Last Man Standing"? So glad it's back.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've been watching The Rifleman for as long as I can remember, and now I know why.
    I started watching with my dad, again, before I can recall.
    Dad loved the show and so did I. I never realized it was almost exactly 1 month older than I am.

I still watch it now and then on METV.Thanks for the post O.P.
    It was very informative and interesting.

Top Bottom