The sinkhole 'Vettes... before and after.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Wow. If that Mallett Hammer didn't have a tire on it, you might not even know it was once a car.

Pretty sad deal. Hope they get them all restored. I've been by the museum many times driving up from FL, but never stopped in.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Technically, they're all restorable. Simply reassign the VIN, use whatever existing parts or 'parts of parts' are salvageable, and repair / replace as needed.

Actually, that just adds to the respective cars history, and adds to the value.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Technically, they're all restorable. Simply reassign the VIN, use whatever existing parts or 'parts of parts' are salvageable, and repair / replace as needed.

Actually, that just adds to the respective cars history, and adds to the value.

The Hammer has no reusable parts................none. That car is a total in the purist sense of the word.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I remember the story about the 1 millionth car. I guess all the employes signed the floor boards before the carpet was laid. It will be cool to see these (what they can) get restored. Thanks for sharing!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    They sure are pretty to look at... One of my neighbors has a fully frame-off restored '63 split window coupe. It's GORGEOUS.

But the "vintage" ones are really cruddy to drive. Hot, hard, noisy - wait, what am I talking about again?

I'd like to ride in / drive the latest generation. THOSE are some beautiful cars. AND they can handle much better than the previous gen.

The new ZO6 is evidently a beastly car. Like ~2.5 seconds to 60mph. Holy crap.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    They sure are pretty to look at... One of my neighbors has a fully frame-off restored '63 split window coupe. It's GORGEOUS.

But the "vintage" ones are really cruddy to drive. Hot, hard, noisy - wait, what am I talking about again?

I'd like to ride in / drive the latest generation. THOSE are some beautiful cars. AND they can handle much better than the previous gen.

The new ZO6 is evidently a beastly car. Like ~2.5 seconds to 6-mph. Holy crap.

I will go with my unicorn......1967 coupe. 427/435/4sp. in dark green with white stinger. Side pipes of course.
    Crappy to drive.......who freaking cares. Just ring out that big block any time it gets "Crappy" to drive and it just will not matter.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I will go with my unicorn......1967 coupe. 427/435/4sp. in dark green with white stinger. Side pipes of course.
    Crappy to drive.......who freaking cares. Just ring out that big block any time it gets "Crappy" to drive and it just will not matter.

QFT!!!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

:whistle:

My had had a 1980 Corvette for several years. L-82 / "silver" paint. oyster/offwhite interior. automatic. One of like 4300 made that year. At least that's the farthest I can break it down. That many had the silver paint. I think the actual combination of the L82 / paint / interior / glass tops was under 500 units. Still a turd. Fast, I guess. I almost died in it. Not at all quick. End of the oil shortage, very low on torgue. Wouldn't even chirp the tires it was so puny. 230hp when new. Still probably underrated - but considering the average family grocery getter has around that HP today - pretty wimpy.

He now has a 1996 Collector Edition. Silver (his favorite). Black leather interior. Convertible. One of 716 CE's with that exterior/interior combination. Puny 330 hp. Hard as a rock. Still hot. My dad can barely get in and out of it. And with his health, I'm surprised he can even actuate the clutch pedal.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

The new ZO6 is evidently a beastly car. Like ~2.5 seconds to 60mph. Holy crap.

A buddy and I were having this same conversation this past week. Way back in the day he had built a '70 LT1 roadster with ALL the cool go-fast parts from Guldstrand etc that were available 30 years ago. This car was faster and handled better than the GT1 Corvette we crewed for as starving students. The problem was that it also rode worse and was more temperamental than said GT1 Corvette so he sold it!

Of course now he wishes he had it back but not me, give me AC, cruise, smooth ride AND bone shattering acceleration, braking and that ever important full warranty in any dealership in the country! Yeah I'd love to have a thumper sitting in the barn for the perfect fall day but for something a little more practical with a lotta style and thump in it's own right any of the new generation of super cars is well worth it to me!

Can you imagine driving to Key West and back in a 65 Corvette, Shelby, etc.? Nevermind the constant fear of damage, theft, etc.! Imagine how beat up you'd be after 8-10 hours in the saddle.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A buddy and I were having this same conversation this past week. Way back in the day he had built a '70 LT1 roadster with ALL the cool go-fast parts from Guldstrand etc that were available 30 years ago. This car was faster and handled better than the GT1 Corvette we crewed for as starving students. The problem was that it also rode worse and was more temperamental than said GT1 Corvette so he sold it!

Of course now he wishes he had it back but not me, give me AC, cruise, smooth ride AND bone shattering acceleration, braking and that ever important full warranty in any dealership in the country! Yeah I'd love to have a thumper sitting in the barn for the perfect fall day but for something a little more practical with a lotta style and thump in it's own right any of the new generation of super cars is well worth it to me!

Can you imagine driving to Key West and back in a 65 Corvette, Shelby, etc.? Nevermind the constant fear of damage, theft, etc.! Imagine how beat up you'd be after 8-10 hours in the saddle.

At my age I would barely make Louisville. I had a 67 convertible in 1974. It was a very cool car but zero for a daily driver. It was a rocket but with the top and windows up on a cool day my left shoulder was firmly against the glass and caused me to lean uncomfortably towards the right. It was a harsh experience but at 24 years old I really did not care.
    It was parked in front of one of my girlfriends house and was hit by a box truck. Totaled. Stripped the engine/trans/rear end. Put engine and trans in a 67 Nova and sold the independent rear end to pay for the project. L79's are fast in about anything..............:)

Top Bottom