• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you prefer thick/beefy folding knives, or thin/slicey folding knives?

• Total voters

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    How much of a taper does your Medford have? 0.260" thick at the spine, but how thick just behind the edge?

.260 thick at the spine tapering to .040 right behind the edge.

Strider SMF .187 at the spine and .040 at the edge

Spyderco Manix 2 .120 at the spine and .036 at the edge

Microtech Scarab .125 at the spine and .030 at the edge

Surprising results aren't they? And all knives were sharpened to exactly a 40 degree inclusive angle as well.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I like thicker knives also. They can be made to slice pretty well, but hair shaving sharp is good enough.

In my experience, shaving hair isn't always a great predictor of slicing ability. A lot of thick blades will pop hair, but can't cut an apple with breaking it apart. On a related note, some knives with really polished edges will shave like there's no tomorrow and push cut paper like it's not there, yet fail to cut real life fibrous materials like rope or even 550 cord without a lot of effort.

Really good slicing requires three things:

1. Thin blade
    2. Properly beveled or convexed edge
    3. Microserrations (which arise during sharpening unless they are polished away)

I don't refute that some thick knives can do some good slicing, but I will maintain that the exact same knife and sharpening, but made from thinner stock, will slice better.

Why does this matter to me? Because that's the kind of cutting tasks I encounter every day. If I were a woodworker, I'd prepare my tools differently. If I were chopping big pieces of wood into small pieces of wood, I'd select and prepare my tools differently. I'm more likely to face plastic packaging, corrugated paper board, cloth, cordage, fruit, meat, etc.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    In my experience, shaving hair isn't always a great predictor of slicing ability. A lot of thick blades will pop hair, but can't cut an apple with breaking it apart. On a related note, some knives with really polished edges will shave like there's no tomorrow and push cut paper like it's not there, yet fail to cut real life fibrous materials like rope or even 550 cord without a lot of effort.

Really good slicing requires three things:

1. Thin blade
    2. Properly beveled or convexed edge
    3. Microserrations (which arise during sharpening unless they are polished away)

I don't refute that some thick knives can do some good slicing, but I will maintain that the exact same knife and sharpening, but made from thinner stock, will slice better.

Why does this matter to me? Because that's the kind of cutting tasks I encounter every day. If I were a woodworker, I'd prepare my tools differently. If I were chopping big pieces of wood into small pieces of wood, I'd select and prepare my tools differently. I'm more likely to face plastic packaging, corrugated paper board, cloth, cordage, fruit, meat, etc.

Rhino meat? :dunno:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Anyone else concerned that we have two votes for, "My name is Rhino and they both injure me equally"?:n00b:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Top Bottom