• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Having as much information as possible about the crime, including time, location, description of the perp(s), etc, gives the best chance that somebody may have seen something in the area around that time that could help apprehend the criminal(s).

Unless requested by the police to withhold something, I've NEVER understood why a news outlet would not report the ENTIRE description of the crime the police have from the victims.

Because generic descriptions are useless, and that's usually what we get. Something like: Black male, 5'8", early 20s, medium build, close cut hair, in a black hoody. Ok, now what do you do with that info?

Or, even better, you've got 5 witnesses and you've got a guy who's 5'1 to 6'3", sorta fat skinny, biracial asian black hispanic with longish-short hair in a blackish green blue hoody and khaki short blue jeans.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Because generic descriptions are useless, and that's usually what we get. Something like: Black male, 5'8", early 20s, medium build, close cut hair, in a black hoody. Ok, now what do you do with that info?

Or, even better, you've got 5 witnesses and you've got a guy who's 5'1 to 6'3", sorta fat skinny, biracial asian black hispanic with longish-short hair in a blackish green blue hoody and khaki short blue jeans.

I SOOOO want to rep this. TRUTH AND LOLs. Thanks. BBI

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I almost had a crash one morning with a van coming from the other direction. He crashed and ended up in the lane right beside me. I turned onto the street I was waiting to turn on. I told my son to walk to the house we were going to and tell the boys we would leave in a moment. I got out, pocketed my keys and called 911.
    I didn't find a just a victim of a car crash, I found so much more.
    I was a victim of a strong armed robbery, I didn't have my gun, I watched this man try to carjack many cars. I was key in the police finding him since I was watching him until they arrived.
    What I later learned, he had carjacked the van he crashed in front of me. I told myself when I left that morning, it's ok, you're just taking the boys to school, you don't need your gun. I became a victim and witness in that case. Thankfully he pled out, thankfully he is still in prison.

Mrs. G, I would hope that a lady, armed or unarmed, would call 911 and wait from a safe distance.

PistolPastor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2017
    Munster
    What's weird is they say violent crime is on the decline and it's just the reporting that's gone up. I think that may be partly true. Information is spread so much faster now... But still...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Good call on the phone, but in my case my truck has onstar so worse case I could still get help.

I am trying to think how I would react to a stranger calling and leaving a voicemail about my wife. I think I would be more concerned for her safety since I didn't hear directly from her.

Interesting thoughts tho.... I am considering all

Speakerphone is also an option. (you dial and hold it and let them talk)

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

Yes, by itself, not much help.
    But, "white or gray late 80’s or early 90’s Honda Civic" by itself isn't much help either.
    Why did they report that then?

My point is, "white or gray late 80’s or early 90’s Honda Civic", PLUS a description of the crooks COULD'VE jogged somebody's memory.
    It's the COMBINATION of info that helps the most.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Oh, be thankful you don't work in Beijing.

Cop: can you describe the man who robbed you?

Victim: Well, he was young, medium height, medium build, dark hair, and east Asian.

Or Mumbai:

Cop: can you describe the man who robbed you?

Victim: Well, he was young, medium height, medium build, dark hair, and south Asian.

In each case, that would narrow it down to a group numbering oh, say, 10 times the population of Indianapolis. Hah!

Top Bottom